Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Catawba Creek







This area of Catawba Creek is near the cement plant and the county landfill. I wouldn't put my hand in it for nothing.

Catawba Creek runs into the James River near Salisbury at Lapsley's Run. The river begins somewhere in Roanoke County, possible up near the Homeplace Restaurant, before winding its way through Botetourt County toward the James River. (I couldn't find a map that shows where it starts.)

It is navigable in some places, mostly from Fincastle to the James. It is fed by multiple tributaries from springs and water run off from all over the northern and far southwestern ends of the county.

1 comment:

  1. Catawba creek starts just past 7751 Blacksburg Road in Roanoke County. The creek is very healthy all the way to the junction of Catawba Road and Landfill Road. It goes down hill environmentally until you get to where it runs by Old Sessler Mill Road. I have fished all of it and can tell you for a fact the fishing suffers in the middle compared to the top end and the lower end toward the James. I'm no scientist, but fish are not supposed to be "squishy" in your hand. I blame it all on the area at the junction of the Landfill and the Cement plant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.