Saturday, February 08, 2020

Saturday 9: Two Divided

Saturday 9: Two Divided by Love (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? You can hear it here.

1) Sam's teacher told her she'd use math every day. What's the last math problem you solved? (Did you add to/subtract from the balance of your checkbook ... use division to figure out how much you'd save with 25% off that sweater …)

A. I think it was to calculate a tip on at a restaurant bill. I do it this way for 15%. The bill is $25.75. Ten percent of that is $2.57. Half of that is 1.25 or so. Add those together to get $3.75, which I round up to $4. Yes, I know, those are not exact numbers but they are close. If I wanted to leave 20%, then I'd double the $2.57 to $5.

2) The lyrics tell us that if you take away the rain from a flower, the flower just won't grow. Do you have any indoor houseplants? Could they use a drink of water this morning?

A. I have one cactus out in the garage. Someone gave it to me last year and it is still alive even though I planted it in what was mostly mulch and not dirt. Occasionally I give it a bit of water. It's a cactus. It doesn't need much.

3) This week's artists, The Grass Roots, are introduced in this video by country music superstar Kenny Rogers. Who is your favorite country music singer?

A. I don't listen to country music now. I stopped when I discovered I could turn the channel on the radio to a pop music station. I liked Dolly Parton back in the day, though. I also like Ann Murray. I still listen to some of her music on a CD.

4) The two unmarried members of the group -- guitarist Warren Entner and drummer Ricky Coonce -- competed for a lady's affection on a 1968 episode of The Dating Game. Neither of them won! She chose Bachelor #1. Anyway, have you ever appeared on a game show? Do you know anyone who has?

A. I have never appeared on game show. I know some people who appeared on the local version of Classroom Quiz, but by the time I hit high school, that show was over.

5) The Grass Roots were originally called The 13th Floor. They chose this cheeky name because many high rises do not have a 13th floor since 13 is considered an unlucky number, and they were thumbing their noses at superstition. Are you superstitious?

A. I think the weather affects you with headaches and I do think the full moon makes people a little more weird sometimes, but I think there are scientific explanations for that, some of which we simply haven't figured out yet. However, I do not venture out of the house unless I have to on Friday the 13th. I have had three car wrecks and every one of them occurred on a Friday the 13th.

6) At the time of his death in 2011, group leader Rob Grill was still playing music, touring with a reconfigured Grass Roots. His widow Nancy referred to him as "one lucky son of a gun" because he'd been able to support himself as a musician, doing what he loved for 45 years. In what ways do you consider yourself fortunate?

A. I married a nice man and I was able to have a career as a freelance writer. Most writers cannot support themselves with their writing and I was able to for a good while. I don't now because of health issues, but at one time I did okay. I never got rich or anything but I was able to pay my share of the bills.

7) In 1971, the year this song was released, Walt Disney World opened in Florida. The Epcot Center was added in 1982. Have you ever visited this, or any, Disney theme park?

A. We went to Disney in Florida in 1993 to celebrate my graduation from Hollins College (now Hollins University). We went in June and it was incredibly hot and humid (I think it was like 107 or something). We could only stay until about lunchtime and then we had to return to the hotel and get out of the heat. I turned 30 while we were there. (It took me 8 years to get my degree because of health issues.)

8) Fresh chicken was just 43¢/lb. in 1971. Do you prefer the breast or drumstick?

A. I prefer the thigh, actually.

9) Random question: Do you work well under pressure?

A. I wrote for newspapers and magazines for 20 years, so I must. Nothing like a weekly deadline to keep you writing.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. I am grateful that a lot of restaurants now print different tipping levels right on the bill...saves me from the math! lol
    As for the moon's effect, I will swear to the fact that a full moon (and even the days leading up to one and the days right after) have a definite effect on people. I see it every single month in the dementia unit. Some months are worse than others. I don't really have a theory about that part, but in general, my thinking is that if the moon affects the ocean tides why wouldn't it affect us being that we are 75% water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing for a living must have been great. Your stories are interesting, as always...

    ReplyDelete
  3. #9 made me smile. I've been a writing to deadline for so long that it's seeped into the rest of my life and I can't really do anything without a due date looming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figure tip the same way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of restaurants around here are now printing the amounts for different tip percentages on their receipts. Some hate the idea but I love it all the calculations are right there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed my visit.. I imagine being a writer for the paper can keep you running to meet those deadlines... That is one realon I love retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Stacy about the effects of the moon. I always knew when there was a full moon without looking at the sky by how the kids -- and Walt -- behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are correct about the moon. We see that in the schools every month.
    That is so awesome you were able to be a writer. My son would love that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.