Friday, January 03, 2020

My Niece Reaches Legal Age

Today is my niece's 18th birthday.

She is a senior in high school, active in cheerleading. She dances with a dance troop (clogging is her thing), and she won a lot of beauty pageants when she was younger. Something like 100 of them, I don't know. I lost count.

These are photos of her I swiped from Facebook at some point or another.



I don't see much of her and I've never spent the time with her I wanted to spend. She always had a full schedule of things to do and I generally had no clue about what she was doing until about an hour beforehand, which wasn't much notice, especially if it takes a half-hour to drive to anyplace.

I have managed to attend most of her year-end dance recitals and one or two beauty pageants. But I have missed most of her growing up. I'm the aunt who gives her something at Christmas, and that's about it.

It wasn't the relationship I wanted, but it is the one I ended up with. It saddens me that I don't know much about this child - young woman, now - but it is what it is.

I hope she has a wonderful life. I think she's off to college to become a nurse, though I'm not sure what school she is going to. I hope she is very happy in her choice of profession.

I hope adulthood doesn't weigh her down.

2 comments:

  1. Your niece is beautiful (I know her!) The boys will be 18 next month....where has the time gone?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beautiful young lady. I'm sorry about your lack of relationship with her. I feel pretty much the same about the relationship I have with my son's children. We see them only on holidays or special occasions and they barely take notice of us. They speak to their parents, our daughter, and that's about it. It definitely isn't the relationship I wanted to have with my grandchildren, but, as my husband says, it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.