Thursday, December 19, 2019

Thursday Thirteen #635

1. One of the things I like about Christmas is buying presents. I try hard to find something I think a person really wants. Of course, I am frequently not successful, but I do give it thought.

2. Wrapping those presents is something else I enjoy doing, although I am not good at it. I used to be but somewhere along the line I've become rather sloppy with it. Lots of crinkles and papers cut too short.

3. We are having a sparse holiday because my husband's surgery kept him from getting the Christmas decorations down and the boxes are too heavy for me. I didn't realize until we didn't have them how much I enjoyed the decorations in the living room. Next year.

4. My Christmas card list has grown shorter. I used to send out over a 100 cards; this year I sent out about 55. One person was removed because she complained on Facebook last year about receiving Christmas cards when she didn't send any out and it made her feel guilty. That is how you remove yourself from someone's list, I guess.

5. Even though I send out that many cards, I do not receive even half that number back anymore. There was a time when I decorated an entire wall with Christmas cards. Those days are over.

6. Visits from friends this time of year are always welcome. I know some folks are staying away because I'm not well, which I understand. If they sounded as bad as I do, I wouldn't go to their house either.

7. In previous years, I have made loads of fudge. Sometimes 15 or 20 pounds worth, and then I gave it all away. The neighbors, coworkers, people I just happened to know and like, all received fudge. But I've been too sick to make fudge this year. So no fudge.

8. It is amazing how one person's departure from festivities, for whatever reason, can change the entire holiday.

9. I did not ask Santa for anything this year. Santa has a sore foot.

10. Santa is receiving mostly things he asked for, though there are two items he didn't request that he hopefully will enjoy.

11. A friend yesterday brought us a toy, which we both enjoyed. It's a dinosaur and you shoot little balls into its mouth.

12. We are not having a white Christmas; the forecast calls for a warming trend.

13. Actually, it has been a long time since we've had a white Christmas. I bet kids don't receive sleds for Christmas anymore, at least, not like they did when I was a child. The weather sure has changed.


Happy Holidays to all my Thursday 13 friends, and to all of my readers. Whatever you celebrate, I wish you much cheer and great joy.


_______________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 635th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Tonight the plan is for us to address our Christmas cards. We shall see. Merry Christmas to you and your Santa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut back quite a bit this year. I did not do many cards or decorations. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to find the perfect thing for each person, too, but I don't like wrapping. I'm glad the things the adults on my list wanted this year are bigger items...fewer things to wrap! We have received 7 Christmas cards this year and I sent out just a few more than that. Christmas cards are going the way of the dinosaurs, it seems. I'm sort of sad about that and sort of not sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the card you sent me! Usually, in lieu of sending cards, I contribute to a charity. This year, because of the four feral kittens my husband rescued this fall, we became the charity—and I spent the money toward vetting and neutering all four.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.