Tuesday, December 17, 2019

The Noise in the Garage

A few times over the last several days, I heard a noise in the garage.

I thought it was the wind, because the times I heard it, the wind was howling. This fall, we had removed trees that buffered the house. Things sound different now when the wind blows.

Today I came home from the chiropractor, and my husband, still non-weight bearing on one foot, met me at the door on his knee scooter.

"Did you see the dead squirrel in the garage when you left?"

Well, no. Obviously I hadn't, or I would have done something about it.

The dead squirrel was beneath my vehicle, at the drain. We're guessing it ran into the garage one day when I was either coming or going and had the garage door open.

So the noise I heard in the garage was really a noise, and not the wind.

I feel bad about the squirrel. It died of thirst, I am sure. There was no water source for it except the water in the drain, and it couldn't get to it. It also could have licked antifreeze or something from the garage floor, I suppose.

At any rate, it died an untimely death.

My husband learned of the squirrel when the USPS driver delivered packages. He stood at the kitchen door and asked the driver to place the packages inside the garage door, which I had left unlocked because I was expecting the delivery.

Since he's obviously incapacitated, she obliged.

Then she turned to him and said, "Did you know there is a dead squirrel in your garage?"

To which he replied, "No." Then he proceeded to wheel himself down the patio and into the garage, where he managed to get a snow shovel under the poor squirrel and give it a toss out into the yard.

That is where it was when I came home.

Later, the young firefighter who is helping us with feeding the cattle stopped by and obligingly removed the dead squirrel from the yard.

Moral of this story? Pay attention to the rustling sound in the corner.

It may not be the wind.

(Also pay more attention when you're raising and lowering the garage door!)

2 comments:

  1. Shudder. Several years ago, a rat came into our garage the same way. Unfortunately for me, I'm the only one who saw and heard it. I'm chicken. So whenever I needed to go in the garage at night, I made the Husband come out with me or at least stand by the door.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.