Saturday, November 23, 2019

Saturday 9: Enough is Enough

Saturday 9: No More Tears (Enough is Enough)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This lyrics use weather as metaphor for romance. Here at Saturday 9, we're more literal. How do the skies look where you are this morning?

A. As I write this, it is mostly cloudy with a few breaks of blue sky. The air is dry and it's a bit chilly.

2) According to Merriam-Webster, "enough is enough" is what you say when you want something to stop because you "can no longer accept or deal with it." When did you recently say -- out loud or to yourself -- "enough is enough."

A. Mostly I say this to myself, and it would mostly concern my husband and whatever he happens to be into. Lately he's been trying to fulfill a 35-year-long honey-do list, and while it's good he's getting some of these things done, he's overdoing it with the catch-up phase.

3) Grammy winner Luther Vandross began his career as a background singer and performed on "No More Tears." Tell us about one of your early jobs.

A. I worked as a "parts manager" for a tool and machine shop when I was out of high school. I sold parts for things like Coats tire changers and welders. There were four other women there and everyone else was male. It was dirty and not my thing, and I lasted there about 18 months.

4) Both Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand made slight changes to their first names. Summer was christened "LaDonna," while Streisand's parents spelled her name the more conventional "Barbara." When she was in high school, meme mistress Samantha Winters went from "Sammy" to "Sam." Did you ever make a similar change to your first name?

A. I had a family nickname that I dropped in the second grade, at the insistence of my teacher. Some people still call me by that name but most honor my request to use my formal name.

5) Hair was higher maintenance in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Streisand and Summer are both sporting styles that would require chemical treatment, like a perm or relaxer. Today's looks are less rigidly styled and tend to be smoother or slightly messy. How often do you change your look?

A. Not very. I did the perm thing in the late 1980s and I have hopefully destroyed every photo of myself from that time period.

6) In 1979, it seems every kid was asking Santa for Star Wars toys. Some things don't change, since the Star Wars franchise remains popular with children and toymakers after more than 40 years. What book or toy did you love as a child that remains popular today?

A. Slinky. I always loved a Slinky. Although I don't know if they are still popular today. I certainly haven't seen a commercial for one.

7) Thinking of things that endure . . .  In 1979, the #1 show in the ratings was 60 Minutes. It's still on, every Sunday night, and in the summer of 2019 it came in at #4 in the Nielsen ratings. What's the most recent show you watched? Was it news, sports or entertainment?

A. Entertainment.

8) In 1979, the price for a dozen eggs averaged 85¢. Today, it's about twice that. Are you more likely to use eggs to prepare a main course (like an omelet or Eggs Benedict) or as part of a recipe (anything from a cake to a meatloaf)?

A. I usually scramble eggs for breakfast, or use them in recipes.

9) Random question: You’re alone in your car, driving through your neighborhood on a bright, sunny day. You get a flat tire. You have a spare and a jack in your trunk. Would you fix it yourself or call for help?

I would call for help (and by that I mean husband, brother, father, cousin, nephew) and then try to fix it myself. I know how to do it, I'm just not sure I would have the strength to make the jack work.

 ______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

5 comments:

  1. #9--I know how to do it but would rather not have to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call for help with tires. Somehow I missed that question. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #6- I had forgotten all about Slinky's. I know we had one for my grand doll, but she did not seem to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slinky is still around. My grandkids have all had one. Colton was fascinated with it walking down the stairs.

    Ha! I think EVERYONE made some unfortunate fashion decisions in the 80's...and as far as I'm concerned the 90's weren't much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Slinky, slinky! For the fun it's the best of the toys! Slinky, Slinky! The favorite of girls and boys! Everyone wants a Slinky. You ought to get a Slinky." What I remember best about it was giving it as a gift at birthday parties. A Slinky-Playdoh combo was my mom's go-to for kids I didn't know very well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.