Saturday, May 11, 2019

Saturday 9: The Pefect Fan

Saturday 9
THE PERFECT FAN (1999)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, a son thanks his mother for helping him grow up strong and confident. Who is the last person you thanked? What did they do for you?

A. I thanked my husband for stopping at the store to pick up the Cool Whip that I had forgotten.

2) Who was the last person to thank you for something?

A. My friend thanked me for worrying about her health.

3) This is from the Backstreet Boys' album Millennium, recorded and released in 1999. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when 1999 turned into 2000?

A. I was at the Ringing of the Bells in Fincastle, one of the few times I've gone. The town has a tradition that goes like this: at the Courthouse, a man with a shotgun shoots the gun in the air just before midnight. The courthouse bell tolls, the Fincastle Church bell tolls, and then the Methodist Church bell tolls, then the Presbyterian Church bell tolls, and so and so forth, and this goes on for about 15 minutes. It's a tradition that is a good 150 years old.

4) This song was written by Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell. Brian voiced himself on an episode of PBS' Arthur. Arthur has been described as an "animated anthropomorphic aardvark" -- which can be difficult to say. Do you easily get tongue tied?

A. I'm a mouth of the South. So not really.

5) The French word for "mother" is "mère." What other French words do you know?

A. No. Au revoir.

6) Mother's Day is a big holiday for card shops. So are birthdays, weddings, and St. Patrick's Day. Hallmark sells greetings for everythingfrom "Congratulations on Your New Job" to "Happy Retirement." Who received the most recent card you bought?

A. My nephew.

7) Have you put away your winter clothes yet?

A. I never put them away. I have a huge walk-in closet and it all just hangs there. Eventually the winter clothes slide to the rear of the closet and then the same happens with the warm weather clothes as the weather turns.

8) Mother Winters used to scold Sam for leaving her dirty dishes in the sink. Sam admits it: as a grown up, she's still a bit of a slob. Do you lean toward "neat" or "messy?"

A. I'm a bit in between. I like things neat but I let things pile up sometimes. Besides, I live on a farm and you wouldn't believe the stuff that my husband tracks into the house. Trying to keep this place clean is a never-ending job.

9) To celebrate Mother's Day, Sam is giving away her mother's favorite: Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate with almonds?

A. Classic milk chocolate, please.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

9 comments:

  1. #3 -- What a lovely tradition! That's a great memory to have of welcoming the new millennium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the ringing of the bells tradition. How cool! Your closet sounds like mine. A closet for all seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an interesting tradition your town has for New Years

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the New Year's tradition. I would love to attend that, if I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that story about your town's New Year tradition! That is just so cool! I would love to experience that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ringing of the Bells sounds like a lovely tradition. I would love to hear that sometime.
    I don't live on a farm, but our yard gets pretty wet and muddy and my husband works in construction so I know all about the endless fight to keep the house clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh--I think I have a serious case of closet envy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would go for dark chocolate with almonds . Hershey’s only makes those in minis ... indulgence with fewer calories. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognize the name of your county from reading your blog. The Ringing Of The Bells sounds charming.

    Much more charming than the New Year's Eve annual Harlem Globetrotters basketball game.

    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.