Saturday, March 02, 2019

Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning

Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning (1969)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) What are your plans for this Saturday morning?

A. I have a meeting. I have been asked to head up the committe creating a magazine for the county's 250th anniversary next year.

2) In this song, a man sings of going away for the day with a friend. Where did you go on your last day trip?

A. Um. I haven't been on a trip in ages. Does the grocery store count?

3) The lyrics say, "we will remember long after Saturday's gone." What's something you've done recently that you predict you'll remember for a long time to come?

A. Remodeling the house and putting in hardwood flooring.

4) This song was the Oscar-nominated theme from the movie The Sterile Cuckoo. What's the first movie song that pops into your head?

A. Do, a deer, a female deer, ra, a drop of golden sun. Me, a name, I call myself, fa, a long long way to run. So, a needle pulling thread! La! A note to follow so! Te, a drink with jam and bread! And that will bring us back to do!

5) In the movie, Liza Minnelli played Mary Ann Adams, an eccentric girl everyone called "Pookie." Have you ever been known by a memorable nickname? Who gave it to you?

A. I have a nickname that my family uses (given to me by my father) but if I print it here I will have to find you and poke your eyes out.

6) Today's group began their career as The Grads. Recording artist/producer Herb Alpert liked their sound but hated their name. Alpert picked "sandpiper" at random out of the dictionary. Do you still have and use a bound dictionary? Or do you rely on the internet for word searches and spelling?

A. I have a Shorter Oxford Dictionary (two volumes) that I use. I also use a smaller Oxford Dictionary, an American Heritage Dictionary, and a Webster's Dictionary, along with Roget's Thesaurus and an Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus.

7) The biggest news story of 1969, the year this song was popular, was one of the biggest news stories of all time. On July 20, Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. Other than the moon landing, what's the most consequential event that you've seen in your lifetime? How do you feel it changed America, and the world?

A. For America, that would have to be the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. It turned us into a crazed bunch of scared isolationist fascist idiots.

8) 1969 was a big year for music festivals, with Atlanta, Toronto and Woodstock all holding famous fests. Have you visited Georgia, Ontario or New York (state)?

A. I have been to Georgia and New York.

9) Random question -- According to some plant enthusiasts, house plants do better when they're spoken to. Do you talk to your plants?

A. I did when I had plants. However, due to mold issues I removed the house plants from the house. Now I talk to myself.
___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your comments this morning. Enjoy your busy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now all day I'll be seeing Julie and her guitar in my mind's eye. (And that's a good thing.) BTW, that guitar sold at auction for more than $150,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creating the magazine for the county's 250th anniversary sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your meeting that sounds very exciting to be creating a magazine! Keep us posted on that! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now I'm curious what your nickname might be!! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating project you're working on--the 250 year history-wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, a woman after my own heart when it comes to dictionaries (and all the rest). I just bought my second, two-book set at a book sale last fall. I tried to give one to my son's family as they love books and he does a bit of writing, but they said no to an actual physical book.
    The magazine project sounds very interesting. I'm sure you will do an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing this movie but don't remember any of the story. So why do I remember it. Probably the song, Liza Minelli. Didn't her character pretend she was pregnant to get the guy? Wikipedia here I come. I like my eyes so I won't ask about your nickname. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Number 4 and number 9 had me chuckling. I enjoyed your answers. I too like my eyes.. LOL! Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking a shot in the dark .... is your nickname "Schnickelfritz"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound of Music? That's a cute little song.
    Amen to #7.
    Would you like some felt cacti, too? Probably they would get dusty though, because they really can't be vacuumed.
    Hope the meeting went well. You are the perfect person for the job!
    I have a copy of the Random House Webster's, Roget Thesaurus, Fowler's Modern English Usage within easy reach but mostly use the computer. The books are a pain because they are behind a big floor lamp now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.