Saturday, February 23, 2019

Saturday 9: Dream

Saturday 9: No. 9 Dream (1974)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) John Lennon liked the number 9. It shows up in three of his songs (in addition to this song, he performed "Revolution #9" and "The One after 909" with the Beatles). He was born on the 9th of October, as was his son Sean. Coincidentally, "No. 9 Dream" hit #9 on the Billboard chart. Do you have a favorite number?

A. Not really, although in numerology my "life path" number is 6. This means my strengths are sacrificing, compassionate, healing and my weaknesses are anxious, jealous, cynical (I don't really think I'm the jealous type, but I know I'm the other two). It says this: "All you need is love! Sympathetic, loyal, and protective, your satisfaction comes from connecting with others. Your nurturing soul thrives when someone else is touched by your actions. But we all give and receive love differently, and you'll greatly benefit from eliminating expectations of others." - That's from tarot.com.

There's also this: "The key to the numerology 6 life path number is love toward others in order to exist for others. Life path number 6 brings the energy of practicality, realism, materialization of harmony, craft and work in service. Numerology number 6 symbolizes the combination of higher divine with hard work on Earth." - That's from lifescriptdoctor.com.

And this: "Those who walk a Life Path with No. 6 gift the world with unconditional love, healing, and nurturing.6 teaches true compassion and empathy. Its energy is that of Mother Gaia." - That's from buildingbeautifulsouls.com

2) The phrase repeated in the chorus, "Ah bowakawa pousse pousse" means nothing. It's gibberish that John sang until he could come up with "real" lyrics for this melody. Then he decided he liked the sound of it, so he kept it. Can you think of a word that's fun to say just because you like how it sounds?

A. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

3) John referred to "No. 9 Dream" as an example of "craftsmanship writing." A snatch of the melody just came to him and he got it down on a tape recorder, wrote lyrics, arranged it and recorded it in short order because he needed another song to finish the LP, Walls and Bridges. What's the last thing that you did because you were supposed to or you had to, and not because you wanted to?

A. Taxes.

4) Yet once "No. 9 Dream" was recorded, it became one of John's favorite of his solo songs. He loved its ethereal feel. Tell us about something that turned out better than you thought it would.

A. A lot of my work turns out better than I expect it to, including my writing and photography. Come to think of it, I was really surprised to find out that I can color well. I didn't expect to be able to do it with a somewhat artistic flair.

5) When he was working, John drank a lot of tea, as many as 30 cups in a day. Do you take your tea with cream, sugar, honey, or lemon?

A. I drink it without a sweetener or with a teaspoon of sugar if I want a treat.

6) During his reclusive years (1975 to 1980), John didn't have household help, preferring to take care of his young son and housework himself. He did, however, have a chauffeur on call around the clock. If you could afford to have a staff of one, what single thing would you have him/her do?

A. Cook.

7) When John was a boy, he requested water colors and colored pencils for his birthday and at Christmastime. Do you recall a special birthday or Christmas gift you received as a child?

A. My bicycle when I was five years old. It was blue and had training wheels, which my father removed after I learned to ride.

8) Beatles producer George Martin said John was "a completely impractical man." Would you describe yourself as impulsive, with flashes of practicality? Or are you practical, with flashes of impulsivity?

A. I think I'm fearful with flashes of courage. However, I'm also resilient. I don't know which I am. What do you think?

9) Random question -- Congratulations! You just won the Saturday 9 Sweepstakes, and the prize is your choice of a boat or a motorcycle. Which one do you take?

A. Whichever one has the most value, because I'd sell either one of them. Well, I suppose I could give the motorcycle to my husband since he likes to ride.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.


9 comments:

  1. I think it's really cool that "All you need is love" ended up in a question about John Lennon.

    I did my taxes last week, too. It is a drag, isn't it? And I'm kinda sorta worried I forgot to report something. I can't think of what it is, and maybe I'm just being silly, but it's hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles. Oh, well. If I missed something, I'm sure the IRS will find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that you've found a hidden talent with that artistic flair in your coloring. I'm not very good if I had to draw or paint on my own, but I'm creative with color and have lots of fun with shading and blending colors. Have you thought about paint-by-number kits? I keep looking at them thinking that as an adult I might be good at blending the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TAXES! Tell me about it. I went from getting a small refund to owning $5000! Because I can't write off all my property taxes (so I am paying taxes on the money that I paid in taxes), the donations I make, or the volunteer work I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang it.. I need to work on my taxes.. I am draggin my feet! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you would be resilient and what a great characteristic to have...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh--taxes. :(

    I've been humming Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious--thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about your writing. I am never satisfied with someting I've written until I read it months later and think "Hey--that's not bad!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have a cook for lots of reasons, but mostly so we could eat more healthy and have more selections of food.
    I hate taxes. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life path #8. Positive qualities of people with life path number 8 include persistence, good understanding & managing money, trustworthiness, competence, leadership, reliability and business way of thinking. People with life path number 8 are usually true and sincere in their relationships. They can arouse strong feelings from an opposite sex. You should perceive people with life path 8 as they are, you can’t change them. . They can be really good friends and very dangerous enemies.Many people with life path number 8 have a difficult life with many ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.