Wednesday, January 23, 2019

They Broke the Oven

As we continue with the flooring saga, I offer up the rather devastating news that somehow one of the tile men broke the glass on my oven.


My oven is a Jenn-Air, and it was expensive when we purchased it about 30 years ago. I don't know how it was broken as I wasn't here, and I don't know if there is other damage to the oven. The tile man has managed to locate the only single existing piece of glass for this oven door in the entire United States and is having it shipped here, but that doesn't relieve my anxiety about whether or not the door seals have been compromised.

A new Jenn-Air is expensive - about $3,500, actually. So I am guessing the tile man is hoping this piece of glass he's ordered really does fix things. Otherwise someone's insurance will be buying me a new stove. I have no issues with my oven so I don't know whether to hope the glass fits or not. I had no plans to replace my oven. It has worked just fine all of this time and if it isn't broke I don't replace things simply to replace them.

In the meantime, the old tile that was laid in early October came up incredibly easy, almost by hand, because the first tile-layers did such a crappy job. My husband said the only thing holding the tile down was the grout, basically. That turned out to be good because no jackhammers or other heavy equipment was necessary to get the tile out, and it mostly came up in single pieces. These will be donated to Habitat for Humanity for reuse in someone else's home, according to the tile contractor, since they are in good shape.

The other trauma that happened yesterday involved some adhesive crap that the tile people spread all over the cement. I don't know why my husband didn't stop them, because it smells and everyone has been told 100 times that I am sensitive to chemical odors and have asthma. Nevertheless, this stuff was put down.



It smells terrible and after a little while my lips started tingling and swelling, which is where I tend to react to things. We left for a while to eat dinner and go to Lowes, and it was still stinking when we returned, so we left the windows open and the furnace on (our light bill will be hideous this month) and left to spend the night at my mother-in-law's house.

We came back early this morning (around 6:15 a.m.) and have been trying to air out the house so it doesn't smell so. James is hoping that once the tile is over the stinky stuff the odor will dissipate even more. The odor isn't bothering me quite so much but I am staying back in my office with the door shut and I also have taken extra allergy medication.

This adventure living during a renovation is not for me, I have to say.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no Anita! I remember how sensitive you were when you got the new furniture and the chemical smell...hope the new glass works on your oven!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.