Friday, December 28, 2018

Saturday 9: Winter Wonderland

Saturday 9: Winter Wonderland (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Welcome to the last Saturday 9 of 2018! Thanks for a great year, everyone.

1) This is an unconventional take on an old familiar song. Over the holidays, do you prefer traditional carols? Or do you like to mix it up with more contemporary fare?

A. I like secular holiday tunes more than I do carols unless it Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Then I like carols.

2) Now that Christmas is behind us, are you enjoying a relaxing week? Or do you have socializing/celebrating/chores to do?

A. I mostly spent a quiet week. I still have a little socializing to do, and there are always chores.

3) Winter is a time for cocooning. What book or movie did you enjoy in 2018 that you would recommend to your fellow Saturday 9-ers?

A. I liked the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. It's supposed to be coming out as a TV serial January 17 on Sundance.

4) Looking back on the past year, what was one of your happiest moments?

A. I think the week I spent filling in for the editor of the newspaper was probably one of my better weeks.

5) What was the smartest thing you did all this past year?

A. I went back to physical therapy.

6) As 2018 comes to a close, what are you most grateful for?

A. My husband. He has stood with me through lots of crap, from job issues to health concerns, and still calls me his "sweetie pie."

7) This week's featured artist is Herb Alpert. Because of the style he popularized and the name of his band, people assume he's Hispanic. Yet his parents were Jewish immigrants from Romania. What's something we'd be surprised to learn about you?

A. According to family lore, my great-great grandfather was a preacher who owned a whore house.

8) He performed an instrumental version of "The Star Spangled Banner" at Super Bowl XXII. How did your favorite sports teams do in 2018?

A. I don't watch sports, but the high school from which I graduated had a banner year in volleyball and football.

9) Random question: When did you last check your social media feed?

A. Probably about two hours ago. I look at it but I seldom post on it.

___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

9 comments:

  1. I love the tidbit about your Great great Grandfather being a preacher and owning a whorehouse.
    I am watching Little Woman right now...the PBS version. I am watching on Amazon Prime. Have you seen it? I am enjoying it. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that Little Women, but couldn't get into it. Too "modern" for me.

      Delete
  2. #7 is fantastic family lore! What a story he must have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7 and here I thought no one could top being related to Benidict Arnold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your great, great grandfather. We have a few unique people in my mother' family tree too, including her sister who was married 13 times to 12 men (#10 and #12 were to the same guy, and in between, he married her sister. She was also one of the first women to have an pilot's license in California. Since that generation, things have been kind of boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear the story of how #7 came about...not exactly a combination you usually hear about. He must have been quite the character!
    I'm glad you went back to therapy. I hope you are feeling stronger and continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A preacher with a whore house. That is something you don't hear about every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family has the dubious honor of having one of the first woman to be on death row. The decision was later commuted to 25 years ( I think ). Her crime... she killed her husband my great uncle in cold blood. I have the news paper clippings from the arrest and how the police put it together. The story was also featured in one of those true detective magazines that they use to sale in stores with the tabloids.
    The other side is has country music royality in it as i’m Related to the famous Carter family & Johnny Cash. From one side of the tracks to the other! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.