Monday, December 31, 2018

At Year's End

So now at last we come to it, the end of 2018.

What has this year brought?

Rain. Mold. Leaks. We've had about 22" more rain that normal and broke records for rain for the year. My poor husband could barely find a dry day to make hay, never mind work on people's septic tanks.

As this day hit is mid-hour, I learned that Elizabeth Warren is looking into running for President of the United States. While I would love to see her as president, I don't think she is the candidate for the Democrats. We will see. Already on Facebook the #45 trolls are out, bashing, thrashing, mauling, crawling, before the day is even thinking of ending.

Play nice.

I would like to say I saw lots of niceness in 2018, but I did not. Oh, I was not personally molested, except for my mind, which frequently couldn't begin to understand the anger, ire, hatred, bigotry and rage that surrounds me. I stopped reading comments on articles, even mundane things, because suddenly there would be hate, seemingly unrelated and coming out of left field. This is really America, though. This is what we are, who we are, and our new normal. We're a people full of hate and rage. I suppose we always have been. My rose-colored glasses kept me from seeing it. I thought we liked one another, that we cared about each other, that we were rising to a higher level of society. That we would one day be the pinnacle of civilization, a true beacon of light and hope.

I don't think that now.

My life went on quietly, with no great strides in personal growth, but I don't think I went backwards, either. I read fewer books, which was unfortunate, but ever since I switched to progressive lenses I find reading harder and more headache-inducing. It makes me sad that my eyes are keeping me from something I love so much, but there you go. It is what it is. I read more magazine articles now, though. More things online, too, because I can increase the font.

The rain suits me. Or maybe it is the mud, because I feel stuck, my feet firmly encased in goo that oozes down my socks and traps me as I stand there in my shoes. Thank goodness I still have clothes on. Wouldn't that be a sorry sight.

Today I reflect. Tomorrow I hope.

Tonight, I go to bed and sleep in the new year, much as I have done most of my life. You can make a new year on any day of your life, after all, if you want. Just be different one day and see what happens.

Let's all try that tomorrow. My nephew has a motto for his business that is "be opposite." I wonder if all of those who hate could try that, just for a day. Be opposite and love.

Would everything break, if it was just for a day?

I hope you, my dear reader, whoever you are, have a wonderful 2019. I hope you had a good 2018, too. I hope it wasn't a year filled with hate and heartbreak. I hope 2019 brings everyone sacks full of hope, honesty, honor, and love.

Sacks that I hope find their way into hearts and not trash cans.

Be good out there. Be kind. Be best, as our First Lady says.

Be your best.

1 comment:

  1. My dad used to tell me just to do my best...so I like Be your best.
    My eyes are failing me too...well I got new glasses over the summer and it is hard for me to read with them. I do understand that.
    Happy New Year! I love your son's motto!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.