Thursday, August 02, 2018

Thursday Thirteen

Tips for sorting out your news:

1. Avoid websites that end in “lo” ex: Newslo (Newslo is now found at Politicops.com). These sites take pieces of accurate information and then package that information with false or misleading “facts” (sometimes for the purposes of satire or comedy).

2. Watch out for common news websites that end in “.com.co” as they are often fake versions of real news sources (remember: this is also the domain for Colombia!)

3. Watch out if known/reputable news sites are not also reporting on the story. Sometimes lack of coverage is the result of corporate media bias and other factors, but there should typically be more than one source reporting on a topic or event.

4. Odd domain names generally equal odd and rarely truthful news.

5. Lack of author attribution may, but not always, signify that the news story is suspect and requires verification.

6. Some news organizations let bloggers post under the banner of particular news brands; however, many of these posts do not go through the same editing process (ex: BuzzFeed Community Posts, Kinja blogs, Forbes blogs).

7. Check the “About Us” tab on websites or look up the website on Snopes or Wikipedia for more information about the source.

8. Bad web design and use of ALL CAPS can also be a sign that the source you’re looking at should be verified and/or read in conjunction with other sources.

9. If the story makes you REALLY ANGRY it’s probably a good idea to keep reading about the topic via other sources to make sure the story you read wasn’t purposefully trying to make you angry (with potentially misleading or false information) in order to generate shares and ad revenue.

10. It’s always best to read multiple sources of information to get a variety of viewpoints and media frames. Sources such as The Daily Kos, The Huffington Post, and Fox News vacillate between providing important, legitimate, problematic, and/or hyperbolic news coverage, requiring readers and viewers to verify and contextualize information with other sources.

11. Look at the quotes in a story, or rather, look at the lack of quotes. Most publications have multiple sources in each story who are professionals and have expertise in the fields they talk about. If it's a serious or controversial issue, there are more likely to be quotes — and lots of them. Look for professors or other academics who can speak to the research they've done. And if they are talking about research, look up those studies.

12. See who said the quotes, and what they said. Are they a reputable source with a title that you can verify through a quick Google search? Say you're looking at a story and it says President Obama said he wanted to take everyone's guns away. And then there's a quote. Obama is an official who has almost everything he says recorded and archived. There are transcripts for pretty much any address or speech he has given. Google those quotes. See what the speech was about, who he was addressing and when it happened. Even if he did an exclusive interview with a publication, that same quote will be referenced in other stories, saying he said it while talking to the original publication.

13. For more tips on analyzing the credibility and reliability of sources, please check out School Library Journal (they also provide an extensive list of media literacy resources) and the Digital Resource Center.

Tips from NPR and this recommended resource.

______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 563rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments. To a few who have asked, Blogger is having an issue sending comments back to the blog owner via email. The only fix I've found is to comment on my own blog and then I receive the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like HuffPost but when I find a story there that interests me, I google it and see how others are reporting it. I balance Huffpost with The Hill. I am so upset about the way Trump and his followers are treating reputable reporters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HuffPost does have its own set of issues. I agree, this thing with the news media is incredibly troubling.

      Delete
  3. Good info! Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent list. I get NYT's and Washington Post's listservs, and check for local news on the L.A. Times site. And, since I started moderating comments, I don't use the blogger forwards. As you say, they became problematic.
    I love your link to the Digital Resource Center. Thank you so much. 🙏 ♥!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't moderate comments, and since I don't get an email telling me someone has commented so I know to moderate it, I don't know what to do!

      Delete
  5. In high school I was supposed to do an academic paper to prove I could follow academic format. I carefully checked with the teacher that the quality of the sources would not matter, then used beauty magazines for my research material on questions of mood. I was shocked to discover the beauty magazines were much better about quoting academic from multiple sources, including leading researchers, than any direct academic material that a high school student could get her hands on. The teacher was impressed, but not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I wish I could say it was mine, but I found it on the 'net. Made sense to me.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.