Saturday, June 30, 2018

Saturday 9: Back in the USA

SATURDAY 9: BACK IN THE USA (1978)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) This song lists seven cities -- New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis -- that Linda just loves. How many have you visited?

A. I have been to three of them, I think.

2) The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger?

A. Cheese, mayonnaise, catsup, and a pickle.

3) The original recording of this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang?

A. I played Styx's Come Sail Away on the guitar a little while ago.

4) Linda sang The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season?


A. I don't watch baseball.

Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions about the holiday.

5) During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits on Independence Day?

A. No. I don't drink.

6) The first man to sign the Declaration of Independence, John Hancock, said he wrote his name so large King George could see it, even without his glasses. Do you require glasses for reading?

A. I require glasses for seeing.

7) Since July 4 is a federal holiday, banks are closed and there's no mail delivery. Thanks to email and ATMs, Sam finds going without those services isn't a hardship. What about you? Will you find it inconvenient that banks and the USPS are closed on July 4?

A. No.

8) The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01 AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th?

A. We might see fireworks in town. We haven't made plans. My husband will be in between duty cycles and it rather depends on whether or not he is up all night Tuesday night.

9) More and more Americans celebrate our nation's holiday by eating foods from Italy and Germany. For the July 4, 2016 holiday, more than $50 million was spent on Italian sausage and bratwurst. What's on your 4th of July menu?

A. I don't have a July 4 menu. But I can guarantee you I won't be eating sausage or bratwurst. Talk about late night heartburn.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

10 comments:

  1. Now that you mention it, I want a sweet pickle or maybe relish on my burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese, lettuce and tomato, bacon if you have it for me and hold the mayo.
    I like “Long way home” can you play that Styx song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know any Styx song by that title. Are you thinking about the song by Supertramp?

      Delete
    2. I always think Styx did that song.. it must be the blonde. Lol!

      Delete
  3. Styx is one of my favorites. I'd love to hear you play!
    Glad your hubby has the day off to rest and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be talented! Thanks for stopping by!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarity! Duh...
      That Styx song (It is my favorite Styx) ranks right up there with Stairway to Heaven by the Led. It is my favorite Styx. I'm also in awe that you can play it on the guitar!
      I eat very sparingly for the fourth because so many of the foods are problematic.
      Hope that you get a little fun out of this holiday.
      I can imagine that the cattle will be restless. Dang. They are big, too. Wolfie will still sometimes dive under the bed. I'm thinking of fostering a small dog from the Humane Society but it's hard to be certain that a new dog in the house may make Wolfie scatty.
      Fingers crossed for you both to enjoy more about this 4th than you expect to.

      Delete
  6. I hear ya on the glasses thing. It just keeps getting worse for me too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.