Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Redecorating - Pass or Fail?

My husband and I are not what one would call "change it up" people when it comes to household decorating.

The bed sits in the same place it has since 1987, as does the sofa, though both have been changed out for new items since the originals were put in place. I don't change pictures on the wall, or paint often, or hang wallpaper. I had some wallpaper in the bathroom but it is gone, as is the wallpaper I had in the kitchen. Both were up for at least 15 years before we removed them.

Lately I have had an urge to make a few changes. Nothing big, mind you. I wanted some new art work on the walls, new bath mats, new shower curtains.

The bath mats were a matter of ending one load of laundry. We have two bathrooms and the mats were brown in one and blue in the other, and I had to wash them separately. I wanted to make them the same color so I could eliminate one load of laundry. I settled on gray. Very drab and boring, but I could use it with the bluish to gray shower curtain in the master bathroom.

It's a silvery-gray bathmat. Wahoo!


However, it required a new shower curtain in the other bathroom. The curtain I had up was this:



This made the bathroom rather dark, even though the walls and everything else is off-white.

So my husband, being helpful, picked out this shower curtain:

Looks like a hippo with pink stripes.
I despised this shower curtain. Last week he was away for a few days, and I went and bought this:


It is an improvement, anyway.

Then I decided I wanted to do something to the mirror edging in the master bathroom. It had been oak wood colored but the last time we painted the bathroom, which was about two years ago now, we had the fellow paint over the wood edging because it was cracking and looked bad. I wanted to replace the entire medicine cabinet/mirror but we couldn't find anything to fit that hole in the wall at all.

This is what it looked like until this morning:

Kind of blah.

In 2013, we had remodeled the bathroom to exchange the tub for a walk-in shower (a fortunate endeavor given my later health concerns). In the remodeling, we couldn't find replacements for the antique brass plumbing and light fixtures that we had previously, so we went with oil-bronzed, I think it is called. Anyway, it is a lot darker than what we had before.

I thought about simply painting the frame a dark color to match the lights. Then I thought I might try stenciling. I have a friend who has been telling me to try a project.

So I bought some stencils.

This is the result:


I don't know yet what the husband will think, but I suspect a can of dark oil-bronzed paint is in my future.

We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.