Monday, April 02, 2018

An Early Memory

I don't know if it is my earliest memory, but it is one of my earlier memories.

The sandbox was located at our house on Upland Drive and I lived there until I was 5, so this happened before I left there.

What happened was this: I was playing with a neighbor boy from down the street - Brucie Lucado - and in the course of being kids, sand went into my eyes.

Gosh, it burned.

My goodness, it hurt.

I remember screaming bloody murder and running around the sandbox half-blind. "Help me! Help me!" I yelled. My mother came out to see what was wrong and tried to catch me, but I was racing around like a wild thing and it took her a while. "Call Grandma!" I cried. "Call the fire department!"

Neither Grandma nor the fire department came to my rescue. Instead, my mother took me inside and washed my eyes out with water and then some Visine drops. Or at least, I presume that is what happened. I really don't remember much beyond "Call Grandma" and "Call the fire department," screeches that amuse me as an adult but which, I am sure, were perfectly serious at the time.

Another early memory from the same time period involves being outside and being dared - again by Brucie - to eat a wild onion growing in the yard.

What a nasty, foul taste that was.

Boy, did it burn my tongue.

Do I eat onions to this day? Not much. I can handle a Vidalia but that's about it.

Ah, the lessons of childhood.

_________
This is the April challenge from Kwizgiver. I'll going to give it a go. Because, you know, I don't have enough to do. April 2 done!

2 comments:

  1. this was great!!!! mine is posted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever have a dream that was a memory from childhood? When I was about 12, I dreamt about a baby in a car going backward into traffic and woke up in a panic. When I told my mother of the dream, she said it was true. Although I had never heard this story, my mother said when I was a baby in a carrier she had me sideways in the passenger seat. ( notably before seat belt laws) she had parked on a slight hill and forgot to engage the parking brake and I kicked the car out of gear with my foot. Needless to say the car rolled into traffic backwards but fortunately was not hit. A early memory re-lived or just a dream? (Insert twilight zone music)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.