Saturday, December 30, 2017

Saturday 9: Another New Year's Eve

Saturday 9: It's Just Another New Year's Eve (1977)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Welcome to the last Saturday 9 of 2017! Thanks for a great year, everyone.

1) In this song, Barry Manilow declares New Year's Eve is "just another night." How do you feel about 12/31? Is it a special occasion or just another night?

A. We go to bed at our normal time and sleep the new year in, usually. I feel sure we will this year because it is going to be like 0 degrees outside. However, I want to tell you about the bell-ringing in Fincastle, a tradition that is about 150 years old. At midnight, the town rings all of its bells, the ones in the churches and the ones in the courthouse. It has an order; the courthouse bell rings first, then each church follows, until they are all ringing all throughout the community. It is a lovely tradition and usually 50-100 people gather in the courthouse square. I've been a few times but I doubt I brave that kind of cold this year. You can read more about the event here if you like (scroll down).

2) Barry sings that in the past year, "we've made mistakes." What in 2017 do you wish you could do over?

A. I'd like to go back to about February and not put on the weight I have gained this year. I was doing ok and then "poof." Giant marshmallow.

3) He also sings of happy nights with friends. Tell us about a really good time you had in the past year.

A. I enjoyed going to the theater to see Wonder Woman.

4) The song references growing wiser, as well as older. What's something you learned or discovered in 2017?

A. I discovered that I am a fool because I take people at their word.

5)  What do you wish you had spent more time doing during 2017?

A. Writing. And reading. Both of those things. And keeping up with the tax accounting so that it isn't the big overwhelming pile of figures that it is now.

6)  What was the smartest thing you did all this past year?

A. I cleaned up my office, which made me feel better not only physically, because it no longer smells like old newspapers, but mentally, because it is nicer.

7)  As this year comes to a close, what are you most grateful for?

A. Having a loving husband, a thoughtful brother, and good friends.

8) When this week's featured artist, Barry Manilow, was a jingle writer, he wrote the famous "You deserve a break today at McDonald's" song. When's the last time you visited the Golden Arches?

A. I can't remember. I seldom eat there. It has been years, I think.

9) Random question: In high school, were you more popular with the boys or the girls?

A. I wasn't popular at all. I was a nerd. The teachers liked me, though.

_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in
Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

4 comments:

  1. #4 made me sad. I'm sorry that happened to you.
    #6 is inspiring. I need to get my home cleaned up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bell ringing sounds like a lovely tradition. Can you hear it from your house? I'd imagine all those bells ringing together are quite loud.
    I'm sorry someone disappointed you. I don't think it makes you a fool for trusting someone, just a hopeful human.
    Cleaning up the clutter and thinning the collected debris is always on my list of New Year's resolutions. I'm taking down the tree and putting all the decorations away today, so the organizing will begin after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bell tradition!

    I wish you improved health in the New Year! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Wonder Woman. I just saw Justice League and she was the only good thing about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.