Monday, November 06, 2017

Miltary Aviation Museum

When we do finally settle in for our little vacation, we like to hunt up obscure museums. In Virginia Beach, we found the Military Aviation Museum.

This is a private collection of World War I and World War II aircraft. The hangers are even made from parts hauled over from England and Germany.

The aircraft has been restored and most of it is flyable. You could even go up in a plane if you wanted. I tried to get my husband to take a trip but he declined, and he didn't suggest I go up, either. He knew I probably would have taken the ride, I think!




Not sure I'd want to go up in something like this!

I'm afraid I didn't take notes on what the planes are or when they flew.

Many were much smaller than I expected. My husband here, is 6' 2", to give you an idea of the plane size.

This one was colorful.

Kind of hard to believe these things flew!

A decoration on one of the planes.

This plane was going to eat its enemies.

The wings were made of canvas, the tour guide said.

I liked the pink tips.

Couldn't get him to properly center in the aviator's suit.

This one had wings that folded up for shipping.


Bi-plane.


Some kind of fighter jet.


The single area that honored women in aviation.


Looking down over the planes.


Air suits.

We watched this plane take off. I think it was a P51 (?).

Supposedly the Red Barron's plane. Or one like it.

Checking out the instrument panel.

This allegedly was the type of plane the first woman aviator flew. The plane turned upside and she and
her co-pilot fell out because they didn't have seat belts.

The P51 (?) taking off.


Up and away.


You could take rides in this little bi-plane.

There she goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.