Thursday, October 26, 2017

Thursday Thirteen: Virginia Aquarium

We visited the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center while we were in Virginia Beach last week.

It's very hands-on facility, and while I am never a fan of seeing anything behind glass or in cages (the critters always look sad to me), it was an interesting afternoon. We saw birds, komodo dragons, snakes, sharks, sting rays, lots of different fishes, read about the geology of the area and the meteorite that supposedly landed in the Chesapeake area a very long time ago, and felt pieces of said rock (it was soft and slippery).

Here are some photos of our afternoon. I don't know the real names of the things we looked at.

Bright blue fish.

Yellow fish

Snouty fish.

Sad-looking blue and yellow fish.

A growing coral reef.

A sea turtle.

A striped old man fish.

A bird.

A yellow bird.

A komodo dragon.

Up close with the komodo dragon.

Pink fish.

________
 
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 523rd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

4 comments:

  1. Those blue fish posted first remind me of the fish version of indigo buntings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish mostly remind me of the Galapagos. The dragon reminds me of Rinca. Rinca has mnore mid-sized dragons than Komodo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bright blue fish are sand sharks in finfish costumes, for Halloween. They can be very demanding when they come to your door. *wink*
    I agree that we have put the animal kingdom on display in an sad and insulting way.
    I'm so glad you got out and saw some birds, fish and a reptile or two! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could stare at aquariums for a long time; refreshes the heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.