Saturday, October 14, 2017

Saturday 9: Cattanooga Choo-Choo

Saturday 9: Chattanooga Choo-Choo (1941)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1)  Chattanooga is Tennessee's fourth largest city. Have you ever visited Tennessee? If so, where did you go and what did you see?

A. I have been to Tennessee. I was going to go to college there but I decided it wasn't the place I should be after I was offered illicit drugs on my first night there, and I went home.

Since Glenn Miller's recording of "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" was awarded the first-ever gold record, we're going to devote the next questions to your firsts.

2) What was the first award or accolade you ever won?

A. When I was in the second grade, I won a $2 check for a drawing I made about throwing away your trash. I don't remember what the drawing was for or who gave the prize. 

3) We know about your blog. But which was the first social media site that you posted to? (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, MySpace ...)
 
A. AOL. I was one of the first AOL members, because its dial-up service was the only way I could get to the Internet. I used its chat rooms and later its instant messenger service (which I understand is going to be discontinued in December), and at one point it offered an online journal, which is where I actually started blogging. I am on Facebook and Twitter, and I have a Pinterest account. I use Facebook, sometimes check Twitter, occasionally remember the Pinterest. (I still have my original AOL address and still use it. It is now about 24 years old.)
 
4) Where did you go on your first plane ride?
 
A. I went to Spain and France with an overseas trip arranged through my high school.

5) Tell us about your first cell phone.
 
A. I bought my first Nokia back around 1999 or 2000, when my mother was sick and dying and I needed to stay in touch better. I also was covering government meetings in a locality that was a good 45-minute drive from my house, and sometimes they ran very late, and I wanted something in case I had troubles or needed to notify my husband that I would not be home at the expected time.
 
6) Tell us about your first tattoo: Where is it on your body? Where did you have it done? What does it depict?

A. I don't have a tattoo. I have a lot of scars, but no tattoo.

7) How old were you when you had your first piercing?

A. My mother would not allow me to have my ears pierced and I think I was in my late 20s when I finally had my ears pierced (one hole each ear).

8) What had you been drinking the first time you suffered a hangover?

A. I have absolutely no idea. Probably something like Mad Dog 20-20 as I would have been underage and that was something we could easily get. I don't drink anymore, thank goodness.

9) Was your first ticket for parking or was it a moving violation?

A. My first and only ticket was a moving violation. I was on my way to a job interview and I topped a hill and a car was stopped there. I slammed on the brakes and slid into it. Busted up my knee and scared myself silly (and of course this was pre-cellphone, so I couldn't call anyone). The judge told me if I took a driver's ed class he would dismiss the charges, so I took the class. What a waste of a Saturday and a terrible joke that class was. But the charges were dismissed, and that was what was important for insurance purposes.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in
Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

 

13 comments:

  1. $2!! I bet you thought that was a huge amount. That is what my Granny sent to me each year in my birthday card and it was a lot of money to me. Tattoos and ear piercings were no-no's in our house. Sad about your accident. I guess you never got to go to that job interview. Defensive driving classes were always boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think it was a lot of money, but mostly it was important because it was a real check.

      Delete
  2. Mad Dog 20-20. My tummy lurches at the very words.

    I still have my first AOL account, too. I can't see switching away from something that still works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they still make MD 20-20? That was some rot-gut stuff. Glad I'm not the only one still on AOL.

      Delete
  3. My mom still uses AOL, too, but didn't I hear it is going to be going the way of the dinosaurs soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instant messenger service is. I haven't heard anything about the rest of it going away.

      Delete
  4. I used to have AOL too. I guess we all did if we came onto the Internet at a certain point. And I can't believe you were offered drugs on your first visit to the campus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, on top of that it was a Christian campus, but one must not judge.

      Delete
  5. I'm a member of the scar club too. I heard that AOL is ending their instant messaging. Like anyone even knew that was still a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it still existed and I still use AOL every day.

      Delete
  6. I was an avid AOLer, too, and actually still use an email address for shopping, banking, and formal stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have slowly transitioned to gmail for most of that, but I still have my AOL address. Actually I have six of them, but I only use two.

      Delete
  7. AOL user here too! No judgements but the most drugs and alcohol is found on Christian campuses it seems.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.