Saturday, August 26, 2017

Saturday 9: I Wish It Would Rain

Saturday 9: I Wish It Would Rain (1968)

. . . because Janelle recommended the Temptations

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song focuses on rain. Ombrophobia -- the fear of rain -- is fairly common in children. How do you feel about rainy days?

A. Rainy days and Mondays always get me down. They even make me talk to myself and feel old and like I want to quit because nothin' ever seems to fit.

2) Lead singer David Ruffin always wore corrective lenses. Are you wearing glasses or contact lenses as you answer these questions?

A. I have on (expensive) progressive lenses. Can't see a thing without 'em.

3) Those thick-rimmed glasses were David's trademark. When he custom-ordered a luxury car, he had the image of those glasses painted on the door. Tell us something that makes your vehicle distinctive.


A. Dirt, I guess. I live on a long dirt driveway and it gets dirty. Otherwise, it's just a white Camry. I don't put stickers on my vehicles. Oh, wait, I have the thing around my license plate that says Hollins Alumnae on it. I guess that would be considered distinctive. I do have that, don't I? Darn. Now I have to go get up and look. I'm back. Yes, I do have that around my license plate. I thought I did.

4) David also had a penchant for mink. Rumor has it that he wore a mink-lined hat and even had that car upholstered in mink. If you could really splurge on anything right now, what would it be? Car? Travel? Clothes? Jewelry? (NO responsible answers allowed.)

A. Let's say I had won the $730 million PowerBall. If I cannot be responsible with it, then I shall own a mansion with 52 rooms, five of those libraries, one full of arcade video games, another full of computers, and the most lavish bathroom this side of the rumored Trump's golden thrones. I would buy my own jet airplane and hire my own pilot. The plane would be plush, totally first class, with room for about 10 people. I would have four secretaries (excuse me, "personal assistants") to do my bidding, from writing up letters and emails to whatever else I wanted done. I would go to New York and go to some big clothing place (sorry, not up on designers) and have a full wardrobe made for me and my fat butt, one that would make me look like a beautiful big body and not a plunky f*cked up housewife.

5) He sings that he badly wants to go outside. What are your plans for today? Will you be outdoors very much?

A. I need to weed my flowerbed, and if the humidity is low, then I shall do that. Otherwise, I most likely will be inside.

6) The Temptations originally called themselves The Elgins because in 1960, Elgin watches were the high-end timepiece of choice. Today, in the age of cellphones and FitBits, wristwatches aren't that popular anymore. Do you often wear a watch?

A. I wear a watch from the time I get up until I go to bed. I have for as long as I can remember. My favorite watch was a Waltham moon and stars, which got damaged when a jeweler messed up the back changing out the battery. He gave me a new watch in exchange but I never liked it as well as I did that Waltham. That was around 1995. Waltham doesn't make watches like that anymore. It had a dual-colored silver and gold stretch band. It looked something like this, but not exactly:



7) This sad song was inspired by a real-life event. Motown songwriter Rodger Penzabene discovered his wife was cheating on him. Much to his own surprise, he didn't want to divorce or even separate from her; he just wanted her to love him and only him again. Tell us about a time when you didn't react as you thought you would. (Your story doesn't have to be as dramatic as Rodger's.)

A. I surprised myself by the ferocity of my reaction to the November 2016 election.

8) In 1968, when this song was popular, a Pittsburgh McDonald's sold the first Big Mac (two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickle and onion on a sesame seed bun). Describe your perfect hamburger.

A. One beef patty. A bun with a top and bottom and not sesame seed. Cheese. Catsup. Mayo. Lettuce. No onion, no mustard.

9) Random question: When you catch a cold, do you soldier through it? Or are you a big baby?

A. I usually get really sick when I catch a cold because of my asthma, and end up in bed. So I guess I'm a big baby but at the same time I'm not a whiny baby. I just go to bed until I can get back up.

_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.






5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you really had fun with the questions this week! I like your answer to #9. Doesn't sound baby-ish to me at all, just smart. And I hope you win the Powerball, and then blog about your adventures in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...the image...that throne.... blechhh..... eeewwwww....
    You know, I am pretty sure that he wears depends though. Just look the next time his fa is on TV. I too have succumbed to the expense of progressive lenses. I am too jealous of my daughter who gets to go to those $10 sites for her eye wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about having a vanity license plate. It has a whale tail on it. Your PowerBall win would be well spent! Think of all the jobs you would be providing the economy! Beautiful old watch. And, that jeweler should have given you a new watch and your old one back, too! I don't trust jewelers. That election came in the aftermath of a very bad mid-year, and if I could have, I would have gone and personally slapped the leaders of the Republican party, one by one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was given a watch similar to that when I graduated college--I wore it for quite a while, I think until the battery wore out.

    I'm a major baby when I get sick, because I live alone and can baby myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've stayed at a "Trump Palace" it wasn't special at all! Actually I comment on how ugly the decor was but I just figured I didn't have "high enough" taste. I'm a simple woman .. I don't care if the toilet is gold as long as it flushes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.