Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Stealing: Art History

From Sunday Stealing

1. Do you look forward to the spring?

A. In the winter I do. We're heading into Autumn now. Spring is a long way away.
Spring


2. Which area of the sciences do you enjoy the most?

A. I think we could all use a bit more alethiology (study of truth) and kalology (study of beauty). I liked archeology and geology when I was younger but did not follow that route. I suppose one could say I have been studying linguistics (language) all of my life, since I write.

3. If you could own a classical statue in the form of any figure from myth, religion, or even modern fiction, who would you choose?

A. I would like a trio figure featuring Athena, Artemis, and Demeter.

4. Do you have a good relationship with your mother?

A. My mother passed away 17 years ago last week. I do not think we had the best mother-daughter relationship out there, but I tried.

5. What is your favorite mythological story?

A. I always loved the story of Persephone, and how Hades kidnapped her and took her to the underworld. She ate three pomegranate seeds and thus was forced to stay at least part of the time in the underworld. We have the seasons because her mother, Demeter, mourns during the months her daughter is away. That is winter.

6. If you were to put on a big feast, what would you serve?

A. I'd serve Cornish game hens in orange sauce, stuffing, rolls, green beans, spinach, fried yellow squash and zucchini, and chocolate cake with ice cream and/or whipped cream for dessert.

Fortunately, I don't put on big feasts.

7. How do you have fun? (What is your favorite 'Earthly Delight'?)

A. I don't have fun. I'm not even sure I know what the word means. I read for pleasure, I like video games, I enjoy traveling if I am well. I love to write and answer these silly memes and do other blog posts. I enjoy fantasy. But I don't think I have a favorite "earthly delight."

8. Do you often look for hidden messages and meanings?

A. I don't have to look for them. They generally hit me over the head and point themselves out to me.

9. Have you ever received an award or special position?

A. I received a dozen Virginia Press Association awards for my news writing over the years. I was appointed to the local library board and served as its chair. (During my time there we added on to one library and built another.) I served as president of the local historic society for a few years.

10. If a revolution was about to happen in your country, would you be part of it?

A. I think I already am. I think we all are, whether we want to be or not.

11. Have you ever planned an act of revenge?

A. No. At least, not consciously. I don't think that way.

12. What is the most dramatic thing you have ever done?

A. I can't of anything as an adult. When I was a teenager, I ran away from home for a day.

13. Do you care about your weight?

A. I do, but I am not able to manage it.

14. Is your life moving too slowly or too fast?

A. Some days it is a little of both.

15. Do you prefer to stay in the shade?

A. Yes. My medication makes the sun bother me and I do not do "heat" well.

16. If you could have any mural on your ceiling, what would it look like?

A. It would be something the Lord of the Rings movies. Maybe Rivendell.



17. Do you enjoy the countryside?

A. I live on a farm in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. It is the most beautiful countryside in the world.
The view out my office window.

18. Are you a romantic?

A. To a point. I also am well aware of the realities of the world.

19. What is your favorite historic subject?

A. My local history, which I have written about and studied for the last 30 years.

20. Do you prefer landscape paintings?

A. Actually, yes, I do. I also prefer to take landscape or animal pictures over taking photos of people.

21. Are you interested in social issues?

A. Yes, I am. I give to various charities/organizations involved in things I care about and read as much about what is going on in the world as I can.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

5 comments:

  1. I think you may be right on #10. We are definitely living in turbulent times and whether we actually come to war, things are changing. Where we end up is yet to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When's dinner? ;o)
    #7: this seems to say you are handling things using distraction. It's really not such a bad way to go. May I join you?
    #8. yes. That's exactly what "they" do.
    And #10, yes we are... I don't think it will be war unless the military gets involved. Certainly hope they keep their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3..aren't they called the 3 muses? There is a lovely statue at Hearst Castle. I actually though that might be something I'd choose. Loved reading the story of Persephone. I always hoped to study mythology in high school, but they never taught it in Catholic school. #10...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6 sounds delicious
    # 7 I think you delight in The earthly views, animals and when you can manage, the occasional trip outdoors.
    I love mythology stories!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.