Saturday, June 09, 2007

Books: The Secret

The Secret
By Rhonda Byrne
2006
200 pages

If I were to memorize parts of this book, then go see a competent doctor or therapist and recite those parts, I am pretty sure I would walk away with a DSM IV diagnosis.

Something along the lines of "narcissism with magical thinking." And major ego problems.

Normally I would not spend much time on a book review when I will never recommend the book to a single person, but this is a dangerous philosophy.

This book could undermine society in favor of such total individualism that we all may as well simply crawl up in our homes and point guns at one another because YOU are obviously thinking improper thoughts. I am Number One and MY wants are paramount and to hell with you.

One of the best reviews of this book is available at the Chicago Reader. Don't just take my word for it. You can also check out the reviews at Amazon.com and see that I'm not alone in raising eyebrows at this gibberish.

I don't have a problem with promoting positive thinking. Sure, reframe your thought process and your internal chatter so that you're being positive and thinking happy. Yes, it does work, I do it myself.

And certainly there does seem to be a "law of attraction," of like attracting like, in many instances. But that is only one of the things at play in the world, it isn't the whole darned way things work.

This book goes way beyond the law of attraction and positive thinking. In an airplane crash, or a hurricane? You brought it on yourself by thinking improperly. You weren't being positive enough and the Universe sent you exactly what you were wishing for. So sayth the book, anyway.

It doesn't address things like birth defects. I suppose those come about from improper thinking in utero.

Molested in childhood? Alcoholic parent? Get over it, think about getting rich instead! I'll say one thing, consumerism certainly found an advocate when the pen went to the paper in this missive.

Essentially, bad things happen to you because you ask for it. If you want, you can wish and believe you will get everything you need or want by tomorrow, including health so good you never age and millions of dollars. If it doesn't happen, why, then you just didn't think about it right. Or maybe you didn't believe strongly enough or word your request properly.

The Universe will provide. This is like a religion except that it doesn't say God, it says Universe. And there's weird stuff, like, Jesus was very wealthy (monetarily was the way I took that) along with other popular historical figures who are normally associated with good works.

This book also advocates ignorance. Don't read the papers; you don't know what is going on around you. Those are bad vibes and you don't want that.

And if your husband is fat and you don't want to be fat, dump him immediately. And if your best friend is ill, get rid of her too, because that's a downer.

This is a very sick book. It makes it easy for governments to do away with welfare, for instance. Down on your luck? You're thinking wrong! It's all your fault.

You won't get any of my tax dollars because I, righteous soul that I am, am thinking properly!

Talk about blaming the victim. Sheesh.

This book keys in on the hopes and dreams of a land of desperate people. A land where everybody wants to be a millionaire and have no responsibility to their fellow man. Yeah, that's us alright.

Perhaps The Secret really is that if you are ready to do anything, no matter how atrocious, you'll be rewarded. And so long as you're thinking these good and proper thoughts, you're blameless. (As in, hypothetically, I want a million dollars, so I buy an insurance policy and off my spouse - I get what I want, so there should be no consequences).

There is some truth to this book - the positive thoughts part, anyway - and some of it is charming. But the deeper message is so scary that I plan to get my copy out of my house as soon as I can.

No stars

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to forward this post to some other people. Lucky I am still, like, 355 on the library waiting list for this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.