Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Reposed Thoughts


Yesterday I interviewed a couple who ditched their lives in northern/eastern VA and moved here. They bought an old (very large) house and are embarking upon a restaurant/B&B adventure.

They are 43 years old. They called this their "retirement".

He has retired from a police force; she used to be in marketing. They travel to Europe two or three times a year and also across the US.

I always wonder how people can manage to do these things. Where do they get their money? Did their old house sell for millions?

Police officers do not make that kind of money, unless other cities do better than Roanoke. Roanoke's retirement packages might keep you afloat but you're not going to move forward with it.

Maybe marketing pays better than freelancing for newspapers?

When we take vacation, my husband farms and uses the time to plow or rake hay or do whatever needs doing; I just keep working on writing work. I might take a day for spring cleaning, but I don't think that really counts as recreation.

We do not go to Europe. We're lucky if we make it to Myrtle Beach for a weekend.

Is this envy? No, more like curiousity. I just want to know how it's done.

4 comments:

  1. I always wonder if maybe people inherit trust funds. We live pretty simple, but have traveled a considerable amount, mostly in our camper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, i wonder the same thing. I just visited my friend in NoVA and all her friends were talking about their treks to Europe, Asia and other faraway places and they're younger than me! I just don't think it's fair....maybe it's credit card debt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marketing definitely pays better than freelancing for newspapers, especially if you're doing it in the big city. I sorta "marketed" as a freelancer in tvland years ago and although I wasn't rich I was definitely able to afford going to Cancun and Italy. Of course this was before children so I had disposble income, don't imagine that happening anytime soon again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. supposedly, when you want it bad enough you do it. there is also credit and loans...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.