Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


1. I visited my grandmother again today. She remains in the hospital and the angels still sing to her. Today they were singing "Stand up for Jesus."

2. The ice remains on the mountains and it is absolutely gorgeous in the sunshine.

3. Yesterday for reasons that are unknown to me, I broke down and bought a very silly video game for the P.C.

4. I told myself many months ago that I could not have a new video game until I wrote a novel. I didn't buy the video game I really wanted, which I suppose is fortunate, as that involves days if not months of game play. But I can't believe I bought any at all.

5. A relatively new friend is upset with me and I have absolutely no idea why or what I have done. I'm hoping I'm just a handy scapegoat.

6. I rewrote a letter for one of my clients, who told me my version was "greatly superior" to his version of the same letter, only I used the word "I" too much.

7. We're having a roast for dinner. Bake at 325 degrees for about 25-35 minutes per pound, bam, you're done.

8. Peter Pan Peanut butter is being recalled, apparently because it will cause salmonella. I have three jars with the recall number sitting on my pantry shelve. The number is 2-1-1-1 at the beginning of a long number on the lid. Refunds supposedly are available; send lids along with your name and address to ConAGra Foods, P.O. Box 57078, Irvine, CA 92619-7078. No word if they'll also refund the postage it takes to send three peanut butter lids to California. That information came from WDBJ7.com.

9. I used to subscribe to Writer's Digest magazine but this year I'm letting the subscription expire. I think $25.96 for six issues is too much money for something I don't read that closely anymore. I've been a subscriber since 1984.

10. I'm subscribing to Countryside & Small Stock Journal and Consumer Reports instead. They're the ones who sent me the "get a free issue" coupons about the time I got my renewal to Writer's Digest.

11. I wrote a column about light therapy that ran in my weekly newspaper today. It apparently was well-received as I've received some complimentary e-mails on it.

12. Yesterday I attended an "instant poetry" talk by Jeanne Larsen, a professor at Hollins University. I used to write a lot of poetry but don't anymore. I miss it.

13. We all read our little instant poems aloud and Jeanne said I had mixed images of the seasons in my poem. I don't know why she thought that (the poem's below, maybe you can tell me) unless she was projecting what she knows about me onto the poem. She knew me in a former life, when I was dark and goth and depressing. That isn't me anymore.

Here's the poem. It was started from words she handed out that came from a translation of a Chinese poem called "Poem to Ancient Melody" by Liu Yao.

Poem to an Ancient Melody

On this day of love
the nightingale, brilliant and gold,
captures the song of the round, rotund moon.
I listen from my window, the glass glistening
with late spring frost
In the twilight by the brook
the dogwood's blossoms fall,
pile up like snow.
The candle flickers in the mirror's mirage
as the clock chimes eleven.
Tonight, I will not know sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Happy TT - hope you had a good valentines day.

    I like the idea of hearing angels singing.

    Your photos are lovely - it's stunning scenery. Makes our splatter of snow more of a sprinkling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason she'd be talking about mixed seasons is the exact day on which you wrote the poem. If you'd written it in November, then she wouldn't have said a word.
    ("On this day of love" => Valentine's Day)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 12, me too. The light therapy article sounds interesting. Do you know anything about those DLP things that are supposed to remove wrinkles with light?

    Are the instant poems ones you wrote on the spot? I guess she was refering to the spring theme with images of frost and snow, but it does still frost in spring (mostly early spring). It'a nice poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.