Things I’ve Learned About Myself This Year
1. I don’t need big revelations; small truths arrive just fine on their own schedule. They tend to show up while I’m doing something ordinary, like folding laundry or waiting for the microwave to beep.
2. I function best when the house is quiet and there’s a little chocolate within reach. I don't need anything fancy. Life is better with small comforts.
3. I can write more than I think I can, as long as I stop trying to make the first draft perfect. The trick is remembering that no one sees the messy version unless I let them.
4. I’m calmer when I keep my tech simple and ignore the bells and whistles. Every time I strip away a feature I don’t need, something in my brain exhales.
5. I’m more sentimental than I pretend to be, especially with old newspapers and the odd forgotten receipt that somehow feels historic. Apparently, I’m a sucker for anything that captures a moment in time, even if it’s just a grocery list from 2014.
6. I don’t enjoy clutter, but I will absolutely let it accumulate until it annoys me into action. My threshold for “annoyed enough to deal with it” is surprisingly high.
7. I’m happiest when my routines are predictable, even if I roll my eyes at them. There’s comfort in knowing what comes next, even when I pretend I’m spontaneous.
8. I’m still capable of learning new things, but I do it on my own terms. If someone tries to rush me, the learning shuts down like a stubborn mule.
9. I don’t need a crowd; a few solid people are plenty. Peace is worth more than popularity.
10. I’m more patient with others than I am with myself. I’m working on extending the same grace inward, but it’s a slow project.
11. I’m allowed to say no without writing a three‑paragraph explanation. It turns out most people don’t need the backstory anyway. And "no" is a complete sentence!
12. I’ve realized that “later” is not a plan, it’s a delay tactic, and I’m getting better at catching myself. When I actually do the thing now, it’s never as hard as I made it out to be.
13. I still love a good list, especially one that reminds me I’m doing just fine. There’s something satisfying about seeing my thoughts lined up neatly, like they finally decided to behave.
_________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 9765th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.