Thursday, August 29, 2024

Thursday Thirteen


Virginia is a state where one does not have to register with a party to vote in a party primary or general election. Many people do register with one party or the other, but because I was a journalist and never wanted to be viewed as "taking sides," I have never registered with any particular party. Some journalists don't even vote, but I think that's taking it a little far. Voting is one of the most important things a person can do.

Here are 13 reasons why someone may want to consider themselves a moderate or independent voter, and not register with any particular party in the United States:

1. Frustration with the policies and strategies of both major parties.

2. Preference for voting based on individual candidates and issues rather than party lines.

3. Emphasis on evaluating policies on their merits rather than party affiliation.

4. Discomfort with the increasingly polarized political climate.

5. Valuing independent thought and decision-making.

6. Holding centrist views that don’t align fully with either major party.

7. Preference for a non-partisan approach to politics.

8. Belief that no single party represents all their views.

9. Greater emphasis on local issues and candidates.

10. Avoiding the pressure to vote along party lines.

11. Desire for politicians to appeal to a broader base of voters.

12. Aligning voting choices with personal beliefs and values rather than party platforms.

13. Belief in the importance of compromise and bipartisanship and feeling that independents can better represent a diverse range of interests and perspectives.

______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 872nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Your POV seems very patriotic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Massachusetts I registered Independent and still consider myself one, but I always vote Democrat because the represent my views better than the counterpart, and have voted in every election since I was of age to. I too feel as a local reporter it best not to claim a party. I still get all the fundraising letters from the Dems though. Especially now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a registered Independent although I lean to the left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am registered without a party affiliation. And there's a reason for that. I will never be a Republican. But the Democrats keep pissing me off, so I don't consider myself officially one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.