Thursday, August 08, 2024

Thursday Thirteen

I have not "officially" been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but that's because there really isn't a test for it. However, my doctor and my chiropractor both now seem convinced that this is what is going on with me. I will have some further testing done late next week to rule out some other things, though.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, sleep disturbances, and cognitive difficulties often referred to as "fibro fog." The exact cause is unknown, but it is believed to involve a combination of genetic, environmental, and psychological factors.


Here are 13 things about this condition:

1. Prevalence: Fibromyalgia affects around 4 million adults in the United States.

2. Gender: It occurs more frequently in women than in men.

3. Symptoms: Common symptoms include widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and cognitive difficulties often referred to as "fibro fog".

4. Pain Sensitivity: People with fibromyalgia may be more sensitive to pain than those without the condition.

5. Coexisting Conditions: It often coexists with other conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, and migraines.

6. Diagnosis: There is no single test for fibromyalgia; diagnosis is based on symptoms and ruling out other conditions.

7. Causes: The exact cause is unknown, but factors like genetics, traumatic events, and sleep disorders may contribute.

8. Brain Changes: Repeated nerve stimulation in fibromyalgia patients can lead to changes in the brain and spinal cord, amplifying pain signals.

9. Treatment: While there is no cure, treatments include medications, exercise, relaxation, and stress-reduction techniques.

10. Misconceptions: Fibromyalgia is often misunderstood and sometimes dismissed as being "all in the head."

11. Impact on Life: It can significantly affect daily life, including work and social activities. Anxiety and depression are common among those with fibromyalgia.

12. Genetics: It tends to run in families, suggesting a genetic component.

13. Awareness: Increased awareness and understanding are crucial for better management and support for those affected.

______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 869th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to get some relief. Fibro and flare-ups are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so much like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome except for the pain. Mine was precipitated by a viral/flu. I'm encouraged that after 40 years they are finally recognizing CFS via Long Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least getting a diagnosis should enable the doctors to prescribe the right things. I hope. I know nothing about fibromyalgia, so your 13 was educational for me.
    Oh, that #10. I know someone with an invisible disability. If things aren't in his head, he's lying since "only elderly people" get disability. So said the front office worker at a doctor's office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If memory serves, there's another blogger who's been dealing with Fibro for a while now: https://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/. It's not fun. I'm sorry. I hope your doc will be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think I had that, but things got a whole lot better when I retired and stopped the repetitive work. Getting out of the stress of that job helped too. Stress makes the pain worse, and the pain makes the stress, anxiety and depression worse. It can become a vicious cycle. Certain things can trigger it, and we have to find a way to minimalize the stress factors the best we can. I hope the testing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you poor girl! I hope that having a diagnosis helps you deal with this a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.