Monday, August 19, 2024

Happiness - Day 19

This afternoon following a dental appointment, I stopped in one of my old haunts.

I went by the newspaper office to visit with B.J., the woman who has always been the push behind the editors. The real news woman, as it were. Isn't there always a woman in the back doing the real work?

B.J. started with the newspaper sometime back in the 1970s and has stayed with them ever since. She is past retirement age and works there part-time now.

We spent a little time reminiscing about big stories we both remembered - court trials, political issues, and other things like a long-ago wedding of Batman and Cat Woman. It's hard to believe that the two of us sitting there encompassed a good 60 years of county history. I expect that we both know things the other doesn't, and between us we could probably tell a lot of tales that many may not want told.

I also met the current editor. I'd spoken with him on the phone many times, but we had not formally met in person. He'd been on a break, so he was hustling to beat a deadline. I tossed him a story idea or two.

The office is a lot cleaner these days than it was back when I was a reporter. The editor I worked for had papers piled high everywhere. Actually, the newspaper office used to look a lot like my office looks now, with piles of paper and books and general stuff hither and yon. But the news office has been cleaned up and all of the piles of paper are gone. (I need to follow suit and make mine look less full of junk.)

The computers looked new, too. I think they were Macs. 

I am very glad I stopped in to say hello. It made my day!




______________________

Happy August Happiness Challenge!
 
Each day in August you are to post about something that makes *you* happy. Pretty simple. And, it doesn't even have to be every day if you don't want it to be. It's a great way to remind ourselves that there are positive things going on in our lives, our communities, and the world.

2 comments:

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.