Saturday, June 08, 2024

Saturday 9: Footloose




Unfamiliar with this week's tune. Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, Kenny Loggins encourages everyone to lose their blues by dancing. What reliably shakes you out of a funk?

A. I don't know that anything "reliably" shakes me out of a funk, as I am pretty funk-stubborn, but a walk helps, as does phone calls with friends, journaling, reading a book or playing music. Maybe I need to dance more.

2) To cut footloose, he has to kick off his "Sunday shoes." What's on your feet as you answer these 9 questions?

A. A pair of APEX sneakers and socks.

3) This is the title song of the popular 1984 movie of the same name. It's so well-identified with the film that the AFI named it #96 of the top 100 movie songs of the last 100 years. Have you seen Footloose?

A. Yes, I have seen it, but it has been a long time.

4) The title of his 2022 memoir, Still Alright, was inspired by "I'm Alright," the song he wrote for the raucous golf comedy, Caddyshack. Do you play golf? (Yes, putt-putt miniature golf counts!) Do you watch it on TV?

A. I have played miniature golf. We used to do that when we went to the beach. I don't watch golf on television.

5) Thinking of movies, Kenny says watching Yankee Doodle Dandy when he was just 7 years old made him think performing looked like fun and says, "I knew deep inside this is something I could do." Do you recall when you set off on your chosen career?

A. I have always been a reader and my teachers urged me to write, but I think it was when I was reading Nancy Drew books when I was about 9 or so that I realized that was what I wanted to do: write. In particular, I wanted to write Nancy Drew books. I'm not sure how that turned into a career in news reporting.

5) Kenny grew up in Everett, Washington, north of Seattle and 84 miles from the Canadian border. Have you ever visited Canada? If yes, where did you go?

A. I have never been to Canada.

6) In 1977 Kenny struck up a friendship with Stevie Nicks, who was a source of encouragement and would sing with him on one of his biggest hits, "Whenever I Call You Friend." Tell us about when you met one of your best friends.

A. When I first met one of my closest friends today, she was dressed in a cow suit at the library. I was there to write an article about an event she was participating in. Later, I did another article about a book she had illustrated, and we hit it off. I generally try not to become friends with the subjects of my articles, but sometimes it's inevitable.

7) In 1984, when this song was a hit, Angela Lansbury premiered in Murder, She Wrote, a show still seen in reruns today. Were/are you a fan?

A. I have seen a few episodes of the show, but it never was must-see TV.

8) Let's tweak your memory about something else that happened in 1984. Without looking it up, can you recall why Michael Jackson's Pepsi commercial made headlines the world over?

A. Didn't his hair catch on fire while making that commercial?

9) Random question -- Think of your last professionally prepared meal. Did you dine in, carry out, or have it delivered?

A. We had take-out salad for lunch on Friday, and I bought extra to have for lunch today (Saturday).

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

5 comments:

  1. "... she was dressed in a cow suit at the library." That could be a scene in a sitcom. She'd be Rhoda and you'd be Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure my love of reading came before the urge to write, as well.

    Just wanted to let you know the Vionic recovery sandals are available with an adjustable velcro band, no post between the toes. They are very supportive and feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup..i remember the commercial!

    How fun to be a news reporter and meet people who become friends.

    Canada is beautiful! highly recommend Toronto and Montreal!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.