Saturday, May 25, 2024

Saturday 9: God Bless America


Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 
This week's Saturday 9 is from the archives.

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?

A. Yes. There is a confederate statue at the courthouse, along with monuments to those who died in the World Wars.

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our Presidents?

A. No. I have met governors of Virginia, but no presidents.

3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?

A. No. I may have to go to the grocery store but that would be it.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?

A. Ice cold watermelon.

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?

A. The air conditioner is on. We're already having highs in the upper 80s and humidity.

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?

A. I don't think so. I have an aunt on my father's side who is of Japanese descent, but I think she was born here.

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.

A. This would be easier if I actually watched a lot of movies. The Replacements is a fun movie, even if it is about football. It stars Kenau Reeves. Also, I wonder how many Sat9 players have watched Dune & Dune II. I haven't watched Dune II, it's on the list of things to do.

8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?

A. No, I have not.

9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?

A. Potatoes. I did not like potatoes as a child but eat them now. It turns out I was/am allergic to the yeast starch in potatoes, which is probably why I didn't eat them, but as I aged, I found I could tolerate them better.


_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

5 comments:

  1. #3 Same here, off to the grocery store this morning along with a stop at the post office. Tomorrow I’m just heading home for the week, no cookouts planned.
    #5 The Cape is in the upper 60s.
    #7 I seen the old Dune movie but not the remake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen Dune. I did not know you can have potato allergies. We don't normally turn on the air until the outside reaches the 90's. We do regular fans throughout the year. They help me sleep so I don't hear the ringing in my ear. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen Dune from the 80s and the newer Dune. Is there one that's out now? I haven't seen that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CountryDew:
    I enjoyed your answers.
    I like Potato salad and baked beans. A BBQ would be even better.
    Have already decorated the Graves.
    We also have the air conditioner on.
    Enjoy your Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dune is on my list and I love watermelon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.