Saturday, January 27, 2024

Saturday 9: Joanna

Saturday 9: Joanna (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The subject of this week's song, Joanna, is described as someone who never lets you down and can always be counted upon. Who in your life is like that?

A. I have trust issues. I expect to be let down. My husband does a good job of being there for me, though.

2) Kool and the Gang vocalist James "J. T." Taylor sings that he will do his best to do what's right for her. Reflect on the last week. What did you devote special effort to?

A. I spent some time writing letters. I also did a lot of laundry, and this was major house cleaning week (I have someone who comes to help me with the things I can no longer do because of chronic pain.). But mostly I've been trying to rid myself of a sore throat that has given me laryngitis, so I've had more down time than I usually do.

3) This video was filmed at the Colonial Diner in Lyndhurst, NJ. Still open 40 years later, the Colonial is known for their Boom Boom Shrimp, aka fried shrimp in sweet chili sauce. Think of your favorite local restaurant. What menu item would you recommend?

A. The Tap House in Daleville has a great salad. They grow their own lettuce year-round and it's the best.

4) Kool and the Gang's biggest hit was 1980's "Celebration," which is popular today with disc jockeys at wedding receptions. Are you likely to get up and dance at a wedding reception? Or would we find you enjoying the party from your seat?

A. I haven't been to a wedding reception in years, but I can seldom not sway or at least bob up and down when there's good music on.

5) Kool and the Gang are proud of their NJ roots. Group founder Robert Bell was given the nickname "Kool" by his Jersey City friends because he was so "laid back." Do you think your friends would describe you as "laid back?"

A. No. I'm a pretty keyed up neurotic nervous Nelly. 

6) One of the Jersey City's biggest employers is Evergreen, a transportation and shipping company with offices in Evertrust Plaza, a high-rise near the waterfront. What is the tallest building you've ever been in? Were you there for business, or to enjoy the view?

A. I honestly don't know the answer to this for certain. I *think* I was in the Empire State building in New York when I was a teenager, but I'm not 100% sure of that. It would have been on a trip there with my parents when I was 13. I don't remember much about it except for eating the best Chinese food ever in Chinatown and seeing the Statue of Liberty from a distance.

7) In 1983, when "Joanna" topped the charts, Vanessa Williams became the first African American to be crowned Miss America. Today, Miss America is still among the most popular televised pageants, along with Miss World and Miss Universe. Do you watch beauty pageants?

A. I do not as a rule. My niece was a beauty pageant participant when she was young and if they were close, I went to support her. Those are the only ones I've ever watched.

8) Also in 1983, superstars Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson joined forces for the #1 song, "Say, Say, Say." Each man began his career as part of a group but went on to have success on his own. Can you think of anyone else who started out in band or group but also scored as a solo artist?

A. Stevie Nicks was in Fleetwood Mac but had a decent solo career. George Michael was in WHAM! but had a good solo career. Phil Collins was in Genesis before he became a solo artist.

9) Random question: Have you more recently eaten bread sticks or carrot sticks?

A. I have had carrots and bread but neither in sticks. I had baby carrots at Christmas so if the stick part matters, then I last had carrots. Otherwise, the sandwich I had at lunch takes the win for the bread.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Music always makes me move, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 I’m in the between years… niece and nephews are all married, waiting for the grand nieces and nephews to get old enough to get marired.
    #6 I went to NYC when I was knee high to a grasshopper but then to Broadway plays

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're not sick for too long. It seems like everything is lingering this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way with good music. I want to move. Oh yes, Genesis and Phil Collins. They had some good songs. I did enjoy soft rock, but never heavy metal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.