Thursday, December 07, 2023

Thursday Thirteen

1. This morning, I watched as the darkness became lighter, and the cloudy sky began to show pink, maroon, and purple color out the front window.

2. On the other side of the house, the sky was also purple, but quickly turned into a more orange hue as the sun rose.

3. If we didn't have clouds, we wouldn't have magnificent sunrises and sunsets. They would all look the same. There's a lesson in there somewhere, isn't there?

4. We are still in drought conditions, but the county lifted the burn ban anyway because we'd had a few showers of rain.

5. Out in rural areas, people often burn their trash. Many folks have a "burn barrel" for this specific purpose. We do not burn our trash; we take it to the landfill. I have asthma and can't take the smoke from burning trash.

6. People also burn piles of brush, or piles of leaves. Sometimes farmers deliberately burn a field of grass, because it makes for better grass the following year.

7.  I prefer the sight of a burning sky - one colored by the sun - to the sight of a fire.

8. Fire in the fireplace can be mesmerizing, which is why they have fireplace fires you can watch on TV, or electric heaters that mimic the look of a fireplace.

9. We have a fireplace, but we haven't used it in many years. Again, that's because of my asthma and allergies. At this point, I would be afraid to use the fireplace until a chimney sweep cleans it out and checks it over.

10. The fireplace in the house is the one thing I wish we hadn't installed when we built this house. It looks nice, but it is now more of a liability for us than anything. 

11. Maybe I should get some orange construction paper and cut out flames and put a light behind them so the woodstove that takes up the fireplace hole would look like it has a fire in it. 

12. We've considered removing the woodstove and installing gas logs, but talking about it is as far as we've gone.

13. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning!

______________


Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 837th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. #3 so true! Our heating system broke and we were so thankful or woodstove because it took a month for the system part to come in. Love those sunsets. Rarely do I see a sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like the color of a sky when fires are burning. It looks wrong. I understand why you wouldn't want to use your fireplace. Replacing it with an electric thing or such would be cool, but yeah, you'd have to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been in drought conditions for a while, which always seems odd to me as I live on an island in the middle of the ocean. But now we're in monsoon season, and it's been much rainer than usual. There's actually sun this morning, and my grass is actually green again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember as a kid that my grandfather had a burn barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the orange construction paper fire would be charming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.