Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Where Have All the Cardinals Gone?

 


We were a bit late in putting out a bird feeder for winter. We've seen chickadees, tufted titmouses, and blue jays, but no cardinals.

I miss the lovely red birds and I don't know where they went. They are not a migratory bird. It makes me wonder if there wasn't enough food around here this summer because of our drought. Or if we have the wrong food in the bird feeder. They like sunflower seeds the best (allegedly), and there is some of that in the mix.

Honestly, I haven't seen a cardinal in months. Of course, things like seeing birds are something one takes for granted, until suddenly they're not around. So maybe it hasn't been as long as I think.

Maybe it's been longer.

Today we have severe winds, 40 mph winds, that are knocking me offline every now and then. 

The high winds are swinging the bird feeder all around, and I just watched a blue jay take a wild ride while trying to eat during what it thought must've been a lull in the breeze.

Most likely the feeder will need a refill by the time the winds blow themselves out, as the seed will be more on the ground.

Maybe the cardinals will find their way back. I hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.