Thursday, November 30, 2023

Thursday Thirteen

These are the nonfiction books I have read this year, with the exception of the inclusion of #2, which was listed as a novel. I included it because it was about the Japanese internment camps in the US during World War II and while written as a novel, I had the feeling it was based more on family lore than fiction.

Some of these books I don't remember much about, so obviously they didn't stick with me. Those include The Power of Habit and The 60-Something Crisis. Either I wasn't paying attention or the messages in the books weren't new or impressive enough to warrant my attention.

The memoirs/autobiographies are all female, except for David Sedaris's books. The books by Carly Simon and Jennifer Grey were somewhat dismaying; Carly Simon's book in particular perhaps should not have been written. Our Little Secret is a biography of Melissa Etheridge by an adoring fan, and it ended in 1999, so there wasn't much new information there. My favorites were The First Lady of World War II, which was about Eleanor Roosevelt, and Back to the Prairie, by Melissa Gilbert, which surprised me with how good it was.

Anything by David Sedaris is good; I think I have now read most of his books.

1. Boys in Trees, by Carly Simon

2. When the Emperor Was Divine, by Julie Otsuka

3. Our Little Secret, by Joyce Luck

4. If You Ask Me, by Betty White

5. The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg

6. The First Lady of World War II, by Shannon McKenny Schmidt

7. Back to the Prairie, a Home Remade, by Melissa Gilbert

8. 1963, a Turning Point in Civil Rights, by Lawrence C. Campbell, Sr.

9. The 60-Something Crisis, by Barbara Pagano

10. Out of the Corner, by Jennifer Grey

11. Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris

12. Theft by Finding, by David Sedaris

13. In Such Good Company, by Carol Burnette

Extra: Born with Teeth, by Kate Mulgrew

______________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 836th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Some books just aren't that remarkable. I bet you'll remember them if you picked them up again, especially if you were to read it thinking it was new to you. (I've done this. I picked up a book I thought I hadn't read, but at some point I realized I had.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sadly don't read a ton of nonfiction, but I HAVE read the Betty White one. A great list of reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theft by Finding was a new one on me. I just ordered it used on amazon. I would read the Betty White memoir and did read Carly Simon's Boys in Trees. I was pleasantly surprised that she was a good writer. Patti Smith is a good writer too. Her book.... Kids... was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Carly Simon's memoir of her friendship with Jacqueline Onassis. It was entertaining, but it did not leave me wanting to know anything more about Carly herself. I enjoy her early records so much, and I'm afraid if I stop liking her I won't like the music as much. Thanks to you I added that book about Eleanor Roosevelt to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read about four of the books (including the Sedaris ones, and totally agree with your comment about his books!).. I do want to read Betty White's book

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.