Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Stealing


Sunday Stealing

1. People I'd like to thank and why

A. All of my wonderful readers, known and unknown, who have ventured into my world via this blog. And my husband for putting up with me.

2. Something I rebelled against as a kid:

A. My parents (who didn't?). Also, I was not fond of doing the dishes. I still am not fond of washing dishes.

3. What I need to accomplish before the end of the year:

A. Get through Thanksgiving, purchase presents & wrap them, put up a tree, send out Christmas cards, finish up the bookkeeping for the taxes, write more in my blog, find an exercise routine, lose about 100 pounds.

4. Guilty pleasures right now:

A. Playing video games and eating chocolate.

5. Local landmarks:

A. Mill Mountain Star, the entire Town of Fincastle, Roaring Run, the Catholic Church in Roanoke.

6. Cause or purpose I deeply believe in:

A. I deeply believe that justice should serve everyone equally, and not only the wealthy. I am also into historic preservation. Look at us today, not learning from the past.

7. Things I never learned to do:

A. Cook well, ride a horse, fly an airplane, be at ease around other people, master the language of the corporate world, sew a dress.

8. Seasonal traditions I’m always excited for:

A. Mostly I'm just glad when it's all over.

9. Something I’d like to be mentored on:

A. Nutrition and food prep.

10. Exotic animals I wish I could keep as pets:

A. None. Exotic animals should be left alone to live out their lives where they belong.

11. Something normal to me, that might be odd to others:

A. Me.

12. The last book I quit reading and why:

A. Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance. It was (and is) a very untrue accounting of life in Appalachia. You can't take one family and try to say that's an entire community or area. And this was before he turned into a crazy statesman.

13. Right now, I appreciate . . .

A. My husband, who is fixing lunch today.

14. When “the holiday season” starts for me:

A. Usually after Thanksgiving.

15. Holiday foods and treats I love the most:

A. Fudge, Cella's chocolate covered cherries, Chex mix (although I haven't been able to eat that for a few years now), and Claxton fruitcake.  

16. “Terrible” movies that I actually like:

A. I liked the original Planet of the Apes movies. I know some people don't.

17. Cooking all day for holiday dinner vs. ordering carry-out:

A. It's a personal choice. Do whatever feels right to you.

18. If I were trapped in a holiday movie, I’d pick . . .

A. It's a Wonderful Life.

19. Which holiday tradition I wish lasted all year long:

A. None of them.

20. Favorite books, tv, movies and music this month:

A. I don't really have favorites, though I do try to watch Lord of the Rings during the holiday season, and my husband has to watch Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer before he considers it to be Christmas.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.


5 comments:

  1. I love chex mix -- I can't have it in the house. Same thing with Fritos - we only buy if we are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a conversation about Hillbilly Elegy at my book group meeting--we were talking about Demon Copperhead and how challenging it is to read and someone compared it to Hillbilly Elegy. I didn't get the hype of H.E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the original Planet of the Apes AND its four sequels in one sitting at a drive-in (actually fell asleep during the last one); the first one is great. Equal justice - yes! The Sunday news shows LOVED Hillbilly Elegy when it came out, but I never read it, and now that Vance, once a never Trumper went full MAGA, I'm glad I never did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of Fincastle but looking it up, I've been close (if three hours drive is "close").

    I am willing to bet you are not as odd as I am. :o)

    I love the original Planet of the Apes movies - Conquest of the Planet of the Apes being a favourite.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen the original Planet of the Apes series. Heston is one of those actors I just don't "get." But I do adore Roddy McDowell and I appreciate them as cultural phenomenon, so I really should just buckle down and watch 'em someday.
    As one who is overweight herself, I recommend you not even joke about the 100 lbs. thing. Why not make it smaller and more manageable, like smaller portions at lunch or something like that? Of course, I'm still fat, so I'm obviously full of shit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.