Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Speaking Bookishly

Some books I recommend -

Solomon's Oak, By Jo-Ann Mapson

A young widow, struggling to hold onto her California farm famous for a large white oak, decides to earn money by hosting weddings in a chapel her husband built before he died. She also takes in a foster child, a 14-year-old with lots of issues. They meet up with a former New Mexico cop and crime lab photographer who wants to photograph the tree. Through lots of effort, healing takes place. I found this to be a good read about acceptance.

The Secret Book of Flora Lea, by Patti Callahan Henry

When a woman discovers a rare book that has connections to her past, long-held secrets about her missing sister and their childhood spent in the English countryside during World War II are revealed. This book made me think a lot about the things folks go through during wars, and the concept of family.

Demon Copperhead, by Barbara Kingsolver (Pulitzer Prize winner)

This is the story of an Appalachian boy born to a teenaged single mother in a single-wide trailer. Demon braves the modern perils of foster care, child labor, derelict schools, athletic success, addiction, disastrous loves, and crushing losses. Through all of it, he reckons with his own invisibility in a popular culture where even the superheroes have abandoned rural people in favor of cities.

A World of Curiosities, by Louise Penny (though you might want to start with the first book in the series; this is #18)

Darkly intricate plot and a good read by Louise Penny, who so far has not failed to entertain me and leave me with a book to think about for a long time.


These are books I've read in recent months and enjoyed. Some are thoughtful, some are thought-provoking, and some are a bit difficult, but they have value for most readers.


 

2 comments:

  1. My book group chose Demon Copperhead--I don't know if I'm up for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Demon Copperhead. They took the plot of David Copperfield and made it new.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.