Saturday, September 02, 2023

Saturday 9: Workin' for a Livin'


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Huey begins the song by telling us some workdays feel like they will never end. How was last week for you? Did it drag or did it fly by?

A. Most of it went by quickly, although I generally look back and my day and wonder what I did with my time. I don't seem to be managing it well.

2) He sings that his car payment is due. Think about your personal finances. Do you pay most of your bills manually or do you more often take advantage of automated bill pay?

A. I manually go into my bank and pay them online. I don't like to have companies dip into my bank accounts and take money.
 
3) Huey Lewis achieved a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Did you take SATs and/or ACTs? Were your results anything to brag about? (If they were, go ahead and let us know!)

A. I took the SATs but my scores were average. I graduated 5th in my class in high school and made straight As in college, but I did not test well.

4) In his role as District Attorney for Essex County, MA, Huey's grandfather Hugh Cregg prosecuted high-profile murder cases. Do you enjoy watching or reading courtroom dramas?

A. I used to cover the local courts, and that killed any love of courtroom dramas for me. When you see how it's really done, the fiction version doesn't often hold up.

5) Huey no longer performs because he has an inner-ear disorder that prevents him from holding a vocal pitch. Of your five senses -- hearing, sight, smell, touch and taste -- which is the strongest?

A. I am not sure. I am one of those people with a few supersensitive senses. My eyes suck - I've always needed glasses - but I can hear things other people can't and smell things other people don't. For example, the jake brakes on a truck or a school bus actually rumble in my ears to the point of pain, but my husband can't hear them. My in-laws once had a TV with a high-pitched squeal that no one but me could hear (I was so glad when they finally got rid of that). I can smell black snakes and copperheads, smoke from distant fires, etc. I guess the rest of me is normal.

6) He is a fan of fly fishing. Did you do any fishing this summer?

A. No. I haven't been fishing in years.

Since this Monday is Labor Day, the holiday established to celebrate the American worker . . .

7) Approximately 10% of Americans are self employed. Have you ever been your own boss?

A. Yes. Still am. I stopped working for other people in 1994 and became a full-time freelance writer and farmer.

8) According to Monster.com, 50% of workers have left a job to get away from a boss. Are you one of the 50%?

A. Yes. I have had bad bosses and left jobs because of them.

9) Farmers feel the impact of extreme weather events. Have you ever had a job that required you to be outdoors most of the time?

A. My husband and I have a farm, but he does most of the outside work these days. I prefer to stay indoors.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

8 comments:

  1. Northern Maine is farm country (potatoes, broccoli, different grains) and I know how extreme weather can make or break a family farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2: I'm the same way. I only use automated bill pay if they insist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 I also go in to the bank to make deposits… they now know me by sight.
    #5 I didn’t snakes smell. I know that they don’t listen. I took a copperhead don’t move while I get a shovel to flatten him. When I can back with the shovel he was gone from sunning himself on the sidewalk.
    #9 When I was growing up we were surrounded by farms and all their odors. I don’t understand people who move in next to a working farm and then complain about the smell… Well duh, it’s a farm! At high school every spring the farmer would spread manure on the corn fields around the school. The kids today don’t understand the pleasure of country living, the corn fields are now housing developments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your smelling senses are pretty amazing. Most of my senses are not nearly as strong as they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many farms disappearing and we need them badly I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess everyone is different. I usually like courtroom dramas even when I spot obvious errors

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting to have a bit of trouble hearing when there is a lot of competing noise, but my hearing used to be super good. I used to hear all kinds of stuff nobody else could. My dad used to say I was lying, that there was no way I could hear what I said I did. Then how did I know about it, Dad???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you about the Brakes. The Jake Brakes on Semi's go all night and day in the desert. I hated them! You could be practically in the Back of Beyond, and those brakes would rumble through night and day. I still have a very acute hearing, though filtering out the background is harder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.