Monday, July 24, 2023

Virginia Fire Museum

Saturday, we ventured off to the open house of the Virginia Fire Museum in Roanoke to see what we could see.

This is a start-up that has not yet found its footing. The collection of about 80 fire engines is significant, but not exactly historical. Two of the pieces from the City of Roanoke were purchased when my husband was working - he helped design the specs for one of them.

They have a few antiques but a lot of it is simply worn-out firetrucks. They will be antiques in a few years, though, and I know they mean something to the firefighters who used the equipment. So, I am glad these people have stepped up to save them.

Since this is state-wide, there are firetrucks from all over. I like that it doesn't simply focus on one area of the state. There have been many little fire stations, most volunteer, that have been filled with generous men and women who have wanted to serve their communities.

I'm not sure the location for the museum is the best (they're in an old warehouse that's been vacant for years) and the walking in the warehouse was difficult as the floor was covered with oil, and there was no clean walking space. I can't imagine how many kids (and parents) tracked oil into their house after visiting the exhibits.

But this is in its infancy, and I feel sure that in a few years, things will look spiffy and shiny. Time helps, as does money and awareness. I don't think a lot of people know this is going on, this saving of old fire apparatus. I hope they get a donation button on their website so people can easily send them $25 every now and then.

Here are some of the old trucks:











A quick word about the Oren trucks. Those were made locally, in nearby Vinton. Oren was purchased in 1976 by Grumman. The Oren name eventually disappeared, and has been, for all intents and purposes, replaced by KME, which moved most of its operations to Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.