Friday, July 21, 2023

I Baked

 


The garden is starting to produce well now. This is the first garden we've had in several years. The fresh veggies are nice to have, except for times like now, when everything comes in all at once.

I have already made two loaves of zucchini bread; one is in the freezer (we ate the other).

This time I wanted to try a different recipe for zucchini muffins. It was supposed to make 12 muffins, but the author of this recipe must make HUGE muffins. I made 12 muffins plus something we'll call a small zucchini cake from that batter. I could have made 18 muffins easily, had I been more muffin-inclined.

Since I seldom follow recipes, I can't send you, dear reader, to a link. It wouldn't be what I made. But I can give you the recipe as I prepared it (which is not the same as the recipe on Simply Recipes, which is where I found a recipe for zucchini muffins that I then changed.)

Anyway, here goes nothing:

Ingredients

2 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini (I put mine in the food processor and chop it up that way)
3/4 cup melted unsalted butter (this works out to 1 full stick plus all but 1 tablespoon of a second stick. That's what I used, anyway, I'm not sure of my math. I melted it in the microwave.)
2 3/4 cup self-rising flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
9 ozs raisins

Preheat oven to 350 F.

I used muffin cups in my muffin tins. If you don't use cups, then you'll have to spray them with Baker's Joy or something.

Mix eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add in flour, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Stir in, then mix with mixer until it starts getting a little stiff. Add in zucchini, stir with spoon, then stir with mixer for 30 seconds or until well mixed. Stir in raisins.

Spoon into muffin pan. Cook for 20-25 minutes. They're done if they bounce when you touch the tops and/or toothpick comes out dry.

Makes 18 large muffins.

If my husband liked cranberries, which he doesn't, I would have used cranberries instead of raisins. You could also add nuts. Or go crazy and do cranberries, raisins, and nuts. You could also add nutmeg (the original recipe called for nutmeg, not cloves), but I am not a nutmeg fan so I substituted cloves.

Also, the Simply Recipe directions said prep time was 15 minutes. It took me about 40 minutes just to get this all together and into the oven. Just something to keep in mind, especially if, like me, you're not a cook and don't have everything on hand or handy.

1 comment:

  1. Sound delicious. If I had zucchin, I might try it. I also never have self-rising flour, since I don't bake any more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.