Tuesday, June 13, 2023

My Brother's Peacock

My brother has two male peacocks. He did have a little flock, but the others "up and left," according to my brother. I suppose they were killed or something in the woods as this is not a native area for them. At any rate, there are no peahens for the guys. Despite the lack of females, during mating season, they still strut and do their stuff.

They also attempt to make out with anything that moves, like squirrels, blowing trees, the dog, etc., from what my brother has told me.

One of the peacocks (whom my brother calls Kevin) came to see us while we sat on the deck while we were visiting my brother for his birthday the other week. I could not get a photo of the bird from the front when he was all fanned out. I ended up with these. I really like the first picture, it's like some kind of weird dance.

I took these with my iPhone 5SE, which is ancient but still serviceable.







The India Blue peacock, scientifically known as Pavo cristatus, has resplendent plumage and a majestic demeanor.

Renowned for their extravagant tails, India Blue peacocks possess a remarkable display of iridescent blue and green feathers. The male, or peacock, proudly flaunts his elaborate train, which can extend up to five feet in length. Each feather is adorned with eye-shaped patterns, known as ocelli, creating a mesmerizing visual spectacle. During mating rituals, the peacock fans out his tail and dances gracefully, attracting the attention of peahens, who evaluate the potential mate based on the quality of his display.

These magnificent birds are native to the Indian subcontinent, where they are deeply ingrained in the country's culture and mythology. In Indian folklore, the peacock symbolizes immortality, grace, and protection, often associated with gods and goddesses. Their presence in ancient Indian art and architecture further exemplifies their significance in the cultural heritage of the region.

Moreover, India Blue peacocks exhibit remarkable sexual dimorphism. While the males showcase their extravagant plumage, the females, known as peahens, possess more subdued feathers with shades of brown and gray. This striking contrast highlights the natural diversity within the species and emphasizes the evolutionary importance of attraction and courtship.

In addition to their aesthetic appeal, India Blue peacocks contribute to the ecosystem by controlling pest populations. Their diet consists of insects, small reptiles, and vegetation, making them valuable allies in maintaining ecological balance.*


*ChatGPT assisted with the latter portion of this blog post.

2 comments:

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.