Saturday, May 13, 2023

Saturday 9: Mama Said


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is about a girl who remembers wise advice she received from her mother. Tell us about someone who advised you years ago and to this day you think, "They were right!"

A. My second-grade teacher told me I'd be a writer. She was right.

2) She sings about hearing chapel bells. Can you hear church bells ringing from your home?

A. No, I cannot. Occasionally when the weather is right, I can hear a distant train.
 
3) This week's featured artists are the Shirelles, a group formed in New Jersey in 1957. They are credited for beginning the girl group genre. Name another popular girl group.

A. Heart.

4) In 1961, when this song was popular, Jacqueline Kennedy appeared on the cover of Ladies Home Journal three times. Is there a printed magazine in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover?

A. I have a copy of Birds and Blooms and it has a bullock oriole on it. I did have the most recent AARP magazine and I think Diane Keaton was on it, but I finished reading it and it went out with the recycling.

5) This song was chosen in celebration of Mother's Day. More phone calls are made on Mother's Day than any other day of the year. Who was your last phone call from?

A. My husband called to tell me he would be home late because he was getting the hay out of the hayfield.
 
6) Salons see a bump in appointments around Mother's Day every year. Partly because moms want to look good for their day, but also because hair, spa and nail services are a popular Mother's Day gift. When did you most recently go to a salon, and was it for your hair, complexion, or nails?

A. I had a haircut on Monday. 

7) Similarly, restaurants experience a spike in reservations on Mother's Day. Where did you last dine out? Was a reservation required?

A. We haven't eaten in a restaurant in quite a long time. We last had take-out from a local burger joint.
 
8) The most popular Mother's Day gift is still the greeting card. Where do you card shop: drugstore, bookstore, card shop, etc.?

A. Drugstore for cards, usually. I am not aware of any card shops still in operation around here. We used to have several Hallmark shops, but now they are located inside of Ace Hardware.

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?

A. Classic milk chocolate please, and thank you, Sam.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

8 comments:

  1. Nice that your hubby calls to say he'll be late. Even after nearly 40 years I can't get mine to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a card shop inside a hardware store. And yes, that was Diane Keaton. I know because that same magazine is on the floor next to my sofa (where it landed due to my bad aim).

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a couple of card stores around here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to hear trains. I always lived near tracks when I was younger and my current home is the only place I have lived that you cannot hear trains. I miss it.
    You girls and your AARP magazines. I need to subscribe. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You throw out magazines! I think I have 10 years worth of Food Magazine, which I'll never look at again. I have to leave the house so my son can throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Card stores have all disappeared from here except for the big malls.
    Distant railroad sounds... hmmm.....I once baby sat in a house that was only a few feet from some railway tracks. No one told me they were even there! This happened at night.... I heard a train and it was getting closer and closer! Finally, I grabbed the sleepy little kids and ran out the back door before I realized that the tracks were right out in front of the house not 20 feet away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have a few old Seventeen magazines, a Red Book from 1960 and a few others . Not in the greatest shape but fun to read. Lucky you to hear the train. I love that sound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #2 Yup, when the wind is right I can hear the trains blowing their horn at the crossing in town.
    #3 Ah yes, Heart. I think you are the only one to mention them.
    #7 I think that the plague did that. I also get take-out more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.