Friday, May 05, 2023

Hollins University Carillon

This is a video of the Hollins University carillon playing. We went to listen to it as it was a special concert, and I hadn't heard the bells ring in a long time. I took video of it, but this is better quality. The wind was blowing so hard that is mostly all you can hear on my phone.



The carillon consists of 47 bronze bells that are played by a keyboard in the chapel tower, as seen in the video. The bells ring every hour and play melodies for special occasions such as commencement, convocation, and holidays, though they were quiet during the pandemic so they haven't been played as much.

Also, one of the lines of one of the bells was broken and recently repaired.

"The Hollins carillon was installed in 1959 as a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Toddie L. Wynne (Imogene Avis Young, Hollins 1917) in memory of Mrs. Wynne’s mother, Allie Nash Young, Hollins Class of 1890. The 47 bells are situated in the top of the chapel’s bell tower, which was built specifically to support the tremendous weight of the bells. According to university literature, the bells vary in weight from 22 pounds to 2,640 pounds. Of these, there are two pealing bells, which are played by pulling on a rope. The rest are played much like a percussion instrument by a bellmaster or carillonneur from a console in the tower." - Cardinal News

The Carillon is one of the few musical instruments of its kind in the United States. (From Bing AI)

***

One of the things I noted was how nostalgic being back on campus made me. I miss being in college. I miss the atmosphere of learning. That place is haunted by the ghosts of women before me who learned in order to make life better, and I feel it when I am on the grounds.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! There is a very special feeling in institutions of learning and a fellowship with those who came before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.