Saturday, April 29, 2023

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, Naked Eyes lead singer Pete Byrne admits he believed his girl's promises, right from the start, but now he knows he should have been more careful with his heart. Do you consider yourself more trusting or skeptical?

A. I used to be trusting but now I am skeptical. Life changes you like that sometimes.
 
2) He looks back on when he and his girl laughed like kids. When did you recently literally laugh out loud (opposed to keystroking LOL)?

A. Yes, but not at anything online. My husband and I laugh a lot.
 
3) He accuses her of not being able to finish what she starts. How about you? Do you finish what you start, or can you think of projects that you're unlikely to ever complete?

A. I have projects that I have started (mostly novels or knitting or something) that I likely won't finish. But I am very good with deadlines, and I've been doing this blog since 2006, which is a long time to write a blog. So, I stick with some things.
 
4) Naked Eyes was a British New Wave band who had four Top 40 singles, including "Promises, Promises." They never toured 40 years ago because it was difficult to recreate their synthesizer-driven sound onstage. Is there a band or singer you would have liked to have seen perform live, but never did?

A. I'm still trying to see Melissa Etheridge, who is again this summer coming to a location near me, but I don't expect to be going. It's out in the open (people will be smoking, I expect), dogs are welcome (I'm highly allergic), and you have to take your own chair. I have back problems and I can't sit in a lawn chair or stadium chair for very long. Plus, when I went to look at the tickets, there were only 8 seats left and you know those weren't very good.

I also would have liked to have seen The Eagles, The Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, and Sheryl Crow.
 
5) While "Promises, Promises" is about an untrustworthy lover, Peter Byrne says he and bandmate/cowriter Rob Fisher worked well together because they knew they could trust one another professionally. By sharing honest assessments of creative ideas, they knew Naked Eyes would never put out "rubbish." If you want an honest opinion on something important, where do you turn?

A. Hmm. Tough question. It depends on the subject matter. If it's about my writing, at the moment I don't really have anyone to turn to. Life stuff, I trust some friends. Household stuff, I turn to my husband. Business stuff, I ask my brother. Health stuff, I trust my doctor. There is no one person I trust for everything, though I may ask some people for advice about everything. That doesn't mean I listen.

6) Madonna was a Naked Eyes fan. Are you a Madonna fan?

A. Not particularly. 

7) In 1983, when this song was on the radio, the Lotus 1-2-3 program made it easier for PC users to build spreadsheets. Are you answering these questions on a PC or a Mac? Laptop or desktop? Android or iPhone?

A. I am on a desktop PC, which is my preference for writing, reading online, and playing video games. I have never liked laptops (I don't like the keyboards), and my iPhone is tiny.
 
8) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off for the first time, taking passengers from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Where did you go on your first flight? What about your most recent flight?

A. My first flight was to Spain when I was in high school. My last flight was in 1993, when we flew to Orlando to go to Disney. I haven't been on a plane since.

9) Random question -- Finish this statement: If I knew then what I know now, I would have: taken better care of my physical health.

 _______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

4 comments:

  1. I get you on #9. When I started packing on the weight, post-hysterectomy, I should have done something. Now reversing that is harder than it would have been then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5--I'm with you. Advice from multiple sources works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the PC for doing everything, but unfortunately it isn't as convenient as the half ton lap top. heehee And #9. I agree, though it isn't illnesses that did me in. It was my reckless disregard for the first law of gravity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.