Saturday, April 22, 2023

Saturday 9: I Won't Be the One


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Barbra Streisand begins by singing about dreams and wishes. What are you wishing for this morning?

A. It would be nice to wake up to a day without either a national or local shooting, but given that it is the weekend, I doubt that will happen. So instead, I shall wish for a calm day for everyone, as calm as it can be for them. I would also like for someone to magically come and declutter my house, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

2) Barry Manilow sings that "anytime you need me, you'll know where I am." If a friend needs you, what's the best way to reach you (text, phone call, email, knock on the front door . . . )?

A. Phone or text would be the quickest way to reach me. 

3) Both of this week's artists are from Brooklyn. In addition to Barry and Barbra, Brooklyn is home to Coney Island, where America's first roller coaster debuted in 1884. Do you enjoy amusement park rides? If yes, do you have a favorite?

A. I do not enjoy amusement park rides anymore. I did when I was young - as in a teenager - but after I hit my 30s, I found them painful. We rode a few rides at Disney in Orlando in 1993 when we went, but both of us ended up aching and sore after a few slams against the side. Even rides that looked like they wouldn't be that physical actually were. A person with brittle bones could end up with a broken body on some of those things.

4) Barbra and her husband, actor James Brolin, have lived in the same Malibu home for more than 25 years. How long have you been in your current residence? Do you think you'll be moving anytime soon?

A. I have lived in my current house since November 1987, and I don't expect to leave it except by force or in a hearse.

5) Barry Manilow once lived in luxurious Bel Air. His neighbors were former President and Mrs. Reagan. At first, he thought it would be great to have the Reagans nearby but quickly changed his mind because he disliked the Secret Service helicopters flying overhead. Tell us about one of your neighbors. (No pressure; we don't expect to hear about historic figures.) 

A. Well, hang on to your hats, lads and lassies. This might be a bit long. My neighbor's name is Lanetta Ware. Professor Ware, who is now over 80 years old, taught at Hollins University (my alma mater) for 43 years. She served as Department Chair of Physical Education until she retired in 2005. She also offered sports clinics to various local schools and at Botetourt Country Club and was a Red Cross First Aid Instructor.

In 2017. she received special honors and recognition from The Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association. She received the award for her love of the sport, passion for teaching, and dedication to coaching. Her efforts in coaching and in rule establishment was one of the driving forces in advancing women in collegiate athletics during the Title IX era. She is well-known across the nation for her work in women's sports, including lacrosse, fencing, field hockey, and golf. She was a trailblazer in helping women's sports to advance to greater recognition and rewarding experiences for students and fans alike. She served as a National Basketball Official, a National Field Hockey Official, and a National and International Lacrosse Official.

Lanetta Ware, 2007

While she was a professor at Hollins, the college was the Division II Virginia State Champions in women's lacrosse in 1978 and 1979 and they were the USWLA Division II Runner Up in the National Championship in 1979. Additionally, Miss Ware co-authored and served as editor of the USWLA Umpiring Manual as well as the International Federation of Women's Lacrosse Association Rules Book and Umpiring Manual and authored or co-authored many other papers concerning women's sports. She served as an official and as chairman of numerous USWLA and IFWLA tournaments and held numerous offices in both the USWLA and the IFWLA, including president of IFWLA for eight years. She was an honorary member of the VWLA, USWLA and the IFWLA.

She has been named to four halls of fame for women's lacrosse: Hollins University, the University of Richmond, US Lacrosse, and Virginia Lacrosse. The Virginia Umpiring Award for Service and Devotion to the game is known as the Lanetta T. Ware Award.

She has been a member of numerous professional societies, including the United States Field Hockey Association, the Virginia Women's Lacrosse Association, the United States Women's Lacrosse Association, the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, the United States Fencing Association, the United States Tennis Association, and the National Golf Coaches Association.

She was the former women's golf champion at Fredericksburg Country Club, Hidden Valley Country Club, and Hermitage Country Club. She was a medalist at the Virginia State Women's Golf Tournament in Hot Springs, Virginia and competed as one of 16 women on the Virginia and West Virginia golf team from 1962-1966. Additionally, she was a runner up at the Wintergreen Golf Club and Roanoke Valley Women's Golf Tournament.

She moved to Botetourt County in 1962. In 1971, she built a home and beef cattle farm with her longtime friend and fellow coach, Marjorie Taylor Berkley, who passed away in 2017. She continues to farm because she enjoys the cattle and the picturesque nature around her home. 

Whew. What a life, eh?

6) As a teenager, Barbra worked as a switchboard operator. Her job consisted of connecting calls by inserting phone plugs into the appropriate jacks. As telephoning became automated, these jobs were phased out and by 1983, the switchboard operator was obsolete. Can you think of another occupation that used to be common but doesn't exist anymore?

A. Secretary.

7) Loyal Fanilows can subscribe to ManilowTV. For $9.95/month, fans can watch exclusive content, like interviews and concert performances. Do you more often watch live broadcast TV or streamed content?

A. I watch whatever's on DirecTV because I still have DSL and streaming is not the best. I hate that little buffering sign.

8) In 2002, the year this recording was released, the Sears Wish Book offered seven different collectible Barbies. According to Mattel, the doll's manufacturer, there are more than 100,000 Barbie collectors all over the world. Do you collect anything?

A. I have a collection of Santa Mouses (Mice)? Most were given to me by friends. I also have a lot of books.

One of my Santa Mouses.

9) Random question: Are you exclusively an online/ATM bank customer, or do you often go into the branch and interact with a teller?

A. I do both. I bank online and I also go to the bank.

_______________

I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you neighbor really was all-in on the things she was passionate about! She did, indeed, live quite a life. Someone to declutter the house....oooh, I should have wished for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not thought about books being a collection, but friends at school like to give me books for Christmas because they know I love to read and they do too. I suppose my book collection is growing.
    Your neighbor sounds like an amazing woman! Very accomplished.
    #1! This used to be such a quiet and safe place to live, but now we hear of a lot of shootings also. It has been bad the past 5-10 years or so. Sad. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've shared about Prof. Ware before. I think it's terrific that you have someone you admire so nearby. Do you get to see her very often?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Ware sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 The new normal.
    #3 Ditto, the last time I rode an amusement park ride I hobbled home.
    #7 Our New Hampshire cottage had DSL when it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have far too many books and will never get to read them all. The physical books I've read almost all, but the digital ones.. Whew!
    Your prof sounds utterly amazing in all that she did to advance women athlete's access to scholarships and to improve and promote the sports programs for women athletes. I'm in awe of her!
    DSL doesn't seem to be that good anywhere, and I don't really understand why. My rather large city has several and not one of them is great through a modem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.