Friday, April 21, 2023

Dandelions and . . . Daisies?




I took these pictures in the yard the other day before my husband mowed. Dandelions are common and most folks try to irradicate them from their yards. I tend to leave them alone. They aren't hurting anything.

Dandelions are flowering plants that belong to the family Asteraceae. They are native to Eurasia and North America but have been introduced to other parts of the world. They have many uses as food, medicine, and ornamental plants. (Bing AI)

The white flower I think many people would call a daisy, but it's actually fleabane. Fleabane belongs to the aster family. Some of it is native to North America and some is not. The flowers bloom from spring to fall and utilize a variety of habitats. Fleabane can be cooked as greens and is used to treat various ailments. (Bing AI)

One of my most hurtful memories involves dandelions. When I was quite small, I thought them beautiful, and I picked a handful to take to my mother. She immediately declared it a weed and threw them in the trash. I don't recall ever picking another flower for my mother again.

I still find dandelions beautiful. They're so happy looking, with their yellow color, and then they are fun when they've gone to seed. One hardy blow upon them and the seeds fly through the sky like magic.



2 comments:

  1. I too love dandelions. If I could be a flower, I would like to be a dandelion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple beauty. I am sorry your mom was so mean to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.