Saturday, December 10, 2022

Saturday 9: Just Because


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, Elvis complains that his girl has confused him with Santa Claus. This time of year, Santa is prominent. Did you more recently hear Santa referred to in a song, see him in a holiday decoration or ad, watch him in a film or TV show, or maybe even met him in person, ringing a bell or asking kids if they have been naughty or nice?

A. I saw him in an ad on Facebook.

2) Finally, Elvis just can't take it anymore and breaks up with her, just because. Is there anyone in your life who has a way of pressing your buttons and getting on your nerves?

A. Of course. Who doesn't have people like that in their life?

3) "Just Because" is one of the last songs Elvis recorded at Sun Studio in Memphis. TripAdvisor recommends a Sun Studio tour as one of the top things to do in Memphis. Have you ever been to Memphis? If yes, what did you do?

A. I have never been to Memphis. I have sang songs about Memphis and wrote a guitar song that I called Memphis Dance, but I've never been there.

4) Elvis left Sun for RCA, a much bigger record label. As part of the deal, RCA negotiated for the rights to all his unreleased Sun songs. "Just Because" is one of them, and it was included on Elvis' first RCA album. Have you gotten a good deal on anything lately?

A. I found a cape (the kind you throw over your shoulders to go outside) marked down from $29.99 to $15.99. Seemed like a good deal.

5) In 1956, when "Just Because" was released, non-stick cookware was first introduced. Do you have any Teflon in your kitchen right now?

A. Probably, although I think most of my "real" Teflon flaked out on me at some point and I tossed it. So, I have whatever the newer version of Teflon is on a few things.

6) Elvis thought peacocks were beautiful and commissioned stained glass peacock panels for his living room. Do you have any stained glass in your home?

A. I have a little fire truck made of stained glass that hangs in my kitchen window.

7) He tried to keep peacocks at Graceland. One of the birds saw its reflection in Elvis' gold Cadillac and started pecking, ruining the car's expensive paint job. Elvis donated the peacocks to the Memphis Zoo. Have you ever had a bird as a pet?

A. No, I have not.

8) Elvis decorated the long Graceland driveway for the holidays with blue lights. His father teased that with the airport nearby, pilots might confuse their driveway with a runway. What airport is nearest your home?

A. Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport, also known by us old timers as Woodrum Field. It's about 30 miles away. Speaking of airplanes, a small plane crashed on the farm long ago (late 1960s), and the pilot and passenger were killed. I have the newspaper photos; they are rather gruesome.

9) When Elvis was alive, he kept the holiday lights up until January 9, the day after his birthday. That tradition continues at Graceland today. Conventional etiquette tells us Christmas decorations should go up the day after Thanksgiving and come down before January 6 (the 12th day of Christmas). Do you think it's ever too early, or too late, for Christmas decorations?

A. This is one of those "live and let live" things. If somebody wants to do Christmas all year, it's not my problem. They can do what they wish. For me, Christmas starts the day after Thanksgiving and ends when I take the tree down, which can either be before or after New Year's Day.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  
 

9 comments:

  1. That stained glass fire truck sounds so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to your thinking on Christmas decorations. To each their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, does this ever bring back memories! My parents used to sing that around the house. I was curious about how old the song was and discovered it was written in 1929. I remember all the tune, and a lot of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I can't imagine waking up to find a crashed airplane out in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom had a plane come down in her front yard once. A small one, but still scary. Fortunately, nobody was killed, just some minor injuries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2 Being retired you don’t have to be around people like that. At work we had people that no one could stand and now I get to pick and choose who are in my life.
    #4 Oh the Cape… oh a cape.
    #6 My sister-in-law used to hang them on the sliders so no one walked in them.
    #8 Back in the eighties a small plane crashed into a tree in front of the volunteer fire station. Now if you had to pick a time and place to crash, Sunday afternoon in front of a fire station was perfect. The volunteers EMTs and fireman were watching a baseball game. The fireman rushed outside with a ladder the EMT got the pilot down and rushed him off to the hospital (The pilot had a heart attack and lived). The volunteers jokingly called the fire station “The East Berlin airport.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a gal that keeps Christmas all year. She is a crafter, and it inspires her to do it.
    I keep my trees up as long as possible! I've witnessed a plane crash. It's certainly traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Christmas and love to decorate everything, but I am a weirdo about taking it down. I like to take it down on the 1st and then clean my house really good before I go back to work. We left the tree up a long-time last year though. Christmas Trees are so beautiful. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy my seasonal tree. It is a 7 foot pencil thin. I got it at Michael's. I have clear bins in the garage that hold the seasonal decorations. I enjoy the lights and the decorations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.