Saturday, December 17, 2022

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) While this song was published as "The Christmas Song," many people refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire." Have you ever roasted chestnuts (in an open fire or in the oven)?

A. I don't think so. We used to eat chestnuts raw when I was young, but I haven't had a chestnut in years.

2) Ricky Nelson sings that turkey helps make the season bright. Many of us just had turkey last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it a seasonal dish?

A. I am not a fan of turkey. I consider it a seasonal meat.

3) He wishes "Merry Christmas" to kids from 1 to 92. Who is the youngest person you will celebrate the holidays with? Who is the oldest?

A. I expect my brother's girlfriend may be the youngest, and my mother-in-law the eldest. If I get to see my great nephew, then he would be the youngest.
 
4) "The Christmas Song" is a perennial favorite and gets lots of play this time of year. Is there a holiday song that you think is overplayed, and that you hope to not hear again (at least not until December 2023)?

A. Last Christmas I gave you my heart but the very next day, you took it away. That's Last Christmas by Wham! and if I took a drink of alcohol every time I heard it, I'd stay drunk through the holidays. All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey would be a tie with that one, I suspect.

5) This version of the song is from The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, the sitcom that ran from 1952 to 1966. There were 435 episodes in all. Is there a series whose every episode you've seen?

A. The Big Bang Theory, Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena: Warrior Princess, Cagney & Lacey, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, Game of Thrones, Downton Abby, Victoria, His Dark Materials, Gentleman Jack, and probably many others that I can't think of right now.
 
6) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. In your younger days, did you have a crush on a teen idol?

A. Keith Partridge would have been my young-girl crush.
 
7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?

A. I do not.
 
8) Have you received many holiday cards this year? Did you send many?

A. I sent out about 50; I have received about 20. I can remember when I sent out and received almost 200 cards.

9) If you were Santa, what cookie would you like kids to leave for you on Christmas Eve?

A. Nestle Toll House Cookie, still slightly warm from the oven. Yum.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

7 comments:

  1. Toll House are the best! The digital age has ruined some special traditions like sending out cards. I saw Masterpiece's series on Victoria and enjoyed it. I like historical pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (If this is a duplicate post, I apologize.) I haven't heard the WHAM! song once this year. Nor Sir Paul's "Wonderful Christmastime." That's not a complaint as I don't miss them. It's just an observation. I've heard an awful lot of Karen Carpenter singing "Merry Christmas, Darling," though.
    Ah, David Cassidy was quite the heartthrob back in the day. Brother Shaun, too. Must be something in that Cassidy DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friend's sisters had David Cassidy wallpaper. We thought it was so glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes on the cookie...Tollhouse are the best. I love Babylon 5 too and it's about time for us to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're pretty much unanimous about what Christmas songs need to go. Both were not bad songs, but why, oh why, must they be played every 5 minutes? Warm Toll House (and they MUST be Nestle's) would be my second choice cookie. I picked Oatmeal Scotchies, but only because I never make them any time but Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw all episodes of Victora as well. I loved that show. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. #5 Yes, Babylon 5 and yes Xena: Warrior Princess
    #8 My mother used to send out that many cards each year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.