Friday, November 18, 2022

Got You on My Mind

Today's my wedding anniversary. We're at the big 39 years - wow. One more year until the big 40.

Some days we look at each other and say, "Weren't we just married 3 weeks ago?" because we have no idea where the time has gone. Here he is retired from one job as a battalion chief with the nearby city's fire department, while still farming and installing septic tanks, and I've managed to obtain three college degrees and a have a career as a news writer.

In a blink, it seems a distant memory. In my dreams, it catches up to me and I see it unfold like a roll of cloth, each turn revealing a different pattern. Good, bad, beautiful, ugly.

The minutia of two lives entwined.

While our marriage has been sturdy, I think how fragile it all is. Had we each made different decisions early on - like, not having gone to a high school football game where we met - we may never have known one another and lived entirely different lives. I am reminded daily, especially now that we're older, that it can all change from calm to chaos in a second - all it takes is a fall, a cut, an illness, an accident - and our lives are not the same as they were.

We are heading into the twilight years now, I guess. Still pushing, still working, still trying to be our best selves for one another and for this ol' planet we call home. We consider ourselves caretakers of the little land we manage, as we're only borrowing it for our lifetime.

Thank you, my best beloved, for these terribly beautiful 39 years. I'm looking forward to the remainder of our lives together.

When we were young, beautiful, and clueless.


6 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to you and your hubby! I hope your day is blessed with all good things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Anita! That is a great picture and I love your dress! We just completed 48!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you and your guy, Anita!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how marriages sometimes work against all odds? I actually married Cliff on the rebound (I've never said that to him, but he may be aware anyhow). We met around December of 1965 and married in June, 1966. Nobody thought it would last. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a few tries, but I did find the love of my life and my best friend. Happy anniversary to you both!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.