Tuesday, September 20, 2022

What Did I See?

Last night I went into the kitchen for a drink of water, a nightly routine. My husband was already in bed.

As I stood at the sink, I caught a glimpse of something in my peripheral vision. I turned to see a silhouette of a man. I blinked, and the figure was gone.

I went back to the bedroom and told my husband I'd seen a man's ghost. He hopped out of bed and asked me to describe what I'd seen, which I did. He began checking windows, turning on outdoor lights, making sure the doors were locked.

Very male stuff. Very "here and now" oriented, too. My husband deals with reality - cows, hay, the weather. He has no time for intuition, the indescribable, the unknown.

In the front yard, which would have been behind me when I was at the sink, deer lay not far from the front porch. They stood up when we turned on the exterior light. Maybe, I suggested, one had been on the porch, and I'd caught the flash of movement through the front door window. I've seen them on the porch before.

Having satisfied himself that nothing was amiss, he steered me to bed. I lay there, waiting and pondering.

My initial thought upon seeing this vision was that it was my father. He is still very much alive, though. So, then I thought maybe it was my grandfather, popping in for a visit. This morning, my brother suggested it could have been my husband's father, though I wouldn't think him to be one to be a ghost. My grandpa, yes, he might be a spectral entity come to say hello, but not my father-in-law.

Maybe, though, it was my own reflection, a trick of the light. However, I've seen and experienced enough weird stuff to know that we don't know everything.

Weirdness has followed me around since I was a child, but it has been a while since I've had this kind of freakiness pop up out of nowhere. My brother and I both take dreams and such seriously; there's always been a bit of fey on both sides of the family. We've seen it, heard it, felt it. It leaves an impression.

Besides, there's a different feel to a warning dream than a regular dream. I can tell what I'm dreaming is not really a dream.

But this wasn't a dream. I was awake, readying for bed.

Yes, it is strange. Yes, I am weird. I've been weird all of my life and I'm old, so I don't expect that to change now. I'll probably just get weirder.

But in the meantime - what did I see?

2 comments:

  1. I have had strange things happen to me since I was a child. When I was younger I would see things and think I was crazy but as I've learned in life as I age, there is a lot we can't explain. My ex and I moved back into my childhood home in 2010. The bed frame was still from when my Grandaddy bought it. He slept on the left side of the bed. One day while walking through on that side of the bed I smelled whiskey, the whiskey only my Grandaddy would drink. I called my Mom and she said "I bet daddy was saying hello to you". Stuff like this always happens around me.

    I bet what you saw was your grandpa saying hello and checking on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had such an experience...but absolutely do not discount your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.